Dorset camping

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulwillie1000

Reaction score
Decided its Dorsets turn this summer, anyone have any opinions or recomendations on campsites, dont mind where in the county but preferably nearer to the coast to keep the devil child amused
Cheers
Paul

Great little site along the coast from West Bay. Place is called Eype (cant remember name of site...i will find out). Great for kids, great cliff top tettaced pitches (only a few too, so nice and uncrouded etc. Been a few times and love it. :D

This is the place....I should have remembered that name really lol...pretty poor memory....http://www.eypehouse.co" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

maybee said:
norden farm near corfe castle nice

We stayed there for the first time last year.

After a night down the pub we got back and sheltered in the awning from the torrential rain outside for a few post pub bevvies. It must have been about 12.30-1am when there was a massive flash and deafening explosion like nothing I've heard before. The dog was straight out under the awning leaving me and my mate Matt chasing a greyhound around the campsite in the pouring rain (it turns out he's faster then me; the greyhound that is, not Matt).

Initially we couldn't explain it as we couldn't see anything untoward which given the proximity of the explosion sounds unbelievable, but it took a few minutes for the fire to take hold and for it to become clear to everyone in the area what had happened. It transpired that a lightening strike had hit a tree about 100 meters away from us which had then arced to the gas bottles of a static caravan used as an office which given the time of night was luckily unoccupied. However there was a towable caravan directly next to it in which one of the staff were sleeping which was taken by the pursuing flames, fortunately the girl in there seemed unharmed although was understandably very shaken.

There were 3 fire engines + two fire control cars on the site to put the canopy of the trees out as well as what remained of the two caravans.Here's a bit about it in the local paper

We returned to our beers in the awning to stay out the way which seemed like an odd thing to do even to us at the time but we couldn't help with anything and we didn't want to stand around gawping at someone elses misfortune like it was macabre entertainment, a lot of people did. Needless to say it all felt a bit weird but we were definitely far too awake at that point to go to bed and it was a good 2 hours before any feeling of peace settled upon the night again anyhow.

All in all a very memorable night in the van in the most surreal of circumstances.

Despite our freak of nature experience I would recommend it as the site is close to Corfe and a pretty chilled out site, plus it's a great base for the surrounding area.

Can't beat Durdle Door mate. The sute is above that rock with a hole in that they always show on Dorset adverts. Bit of a walk down to the beach though, but Lulworth Cove nearby as well.
Rob

onlybayinthevillage said:
Can't beat Durdle Door mate. The sute is above that rock with a hole in that they always show on Dorset adverts. Bit of a walk down to the beach though, but Lulworth Cove nearby as well.
Rob
agree very nice site with a friendly bar :D

Longthorns farm.
We have stayed there loads of times now right next to monkey world, Bovington tank museum just down the road and the beaches not too far away.
The owners are great friendly people, basic and quite cheep. They allow open fires and even hire out fire pits.

http://www.longthornsfarm.co.uk/

Cheers Guys, thanks for all the suggestions,it was a toss up between norden and longthorns,and waking up to the sound of monkeys won the day so we have decided to try longthorns farm, i ll let you know what its like.

Paulwillie1000 said:
Cheers Guys, thanks for all the suggestions,it was a toss up between norden and longthorns,and waking up to the sound of monkeys won the day so we have decided to try longthorns farm, i ll let you know what its like.

Been there loads of times. Book early to try and get into the main site (the one you come to first) they have an overflow field as well. If possiable try and get on the row along the fence oppisate the trees. It gets the sun most of the day there and you look down in a small valley.
It a reasoniably cheep, small friendly, clean campsite.

We will be going again several times this year.

Yep you do wake up with the monkeys screaming in the mornings and the tanks rumbleing in the distance.

We adopted a monkey last year and found it handy to come and go as you please at monkey world.

We've just booked Longthornes for a long week in July. Thought they would make us joing the Caravan club but managed to avoid that particula additional cost.

The Ardenne will have to wait until the pound strengthens again. I might have to be patient!

We just stayed at Norden Farm last week, lovely place:

2010-09-07164148.jpg

2010-09-07164134.jpg

2010-09-07164055.jpg

2010-09-11115722.jpg

2010-09-08191704.jpg

2010-09-08154427.jpg

2010-09-08141822.jpg

2010-09-08135338.jpg

2010-09-08134421.jpg

2010-09-08131411.jpg

2010-09-08131353.jpg