Drilling for support bar???

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j.nathan

Reaction score
Got a type 1 AS41 case which isn't drilled for the support beam.
I know you can buy an adapter plate, but has anyone drilled the case to accept the support bar? Is it possible? is there a template available? Is there any drawbacks using the adapter plate?

Can't help with drill & tap , but I used the adaptor plate when I had type 1 motor. When fitted It blew the seal a couple of times which is very messy when most of the oil is dumped, it was found the plate was not quite flat so my spanners man got it dead flat...ran it for a year in the bus, motor has been in the buggy for 4 years problem free :D

Yes I did this on the beetle engine I am using. It only had/has 2 of the three 'lugs' to drill and TAP ( the right and lower ones) and so I made them both to M10 thread I think.
Normally the lower one is an M8 (I think), so I had to drill out the support bar larger too.

I just used a hand power drill actually and managed to get it quite straight (luckily). My TAPs came from Cromwell tools but Halfords probably sell them too. Drill size I can't remember off hand possibly 8.5 mm I will have to check. The TAPs went in really easily as the mag alloy is so soft.

I did it this way cos I was going for a full-flow andthis would have fouled the adapter- also
on the samba web-site there were concerns about the stresses of using the support adapter (maybe unfounded but ..)

Cheers

James

Thanks for the replies but i'm struggling to see where on the case, the upper 2 holes should be drilled. A picture of a pre-drilled case would be good if anyone has one.

I do have a pic somewhere I think on a PC at work..
.. in the meantime you could offer up the moustache bar to the rear of the engine - should
be obvious then. The bottom of the three mounts is tapped into a lug right at the bottom of the engine beneath the oil .

Cheers

James

.. in the meantime you could offer up the moustache bar to the rear of the engine - should be obvious then. [/quote said:
Unfortunately i don't have one available at the moment.

I'm have been led to believe that the bottom mounting isn't worth the hassle of tapping out.... opinions?
He's the view of mine, the bottom one is where the square lug is where the exhaust flange is.

vwmounting.jpg

Ferg - you just beat me to it..

I was planning on using this set-up at first..

510341.jpg

But abandoned it when I chose to tap the right and the bottom (no left lug and in any case it would have fouled
where the oil pump outlet was (unless I bought some swivel fittings I guess) see here..

510342.jpg

Hope this helps

Cheers

james

BR

James

Brilliant! Those pictures have the information i needed.
So not all AS41 are the same. Mine does not have the left hand lug so i would need an adapter plate. Think i'll buy another case.
Cheers guys.

Found this useful information too.
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9757&p=89887&hilit=full+flow#p89887" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts