Dropped spindle - Now it sits too low!. Please HELP.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who?1

Reaction score
So this afternoon I got away and managed to get started on fitting a pair of Midland Early Bay dropped spindles that Graham L kindly supplied me.

All is well so far but I am having issues tightening back up the tie rod ball joints. The joint shaft just wants to turn within its housing so I cannot get a good purchase on it, the thread just spins, so I can tighten so far then it won't go any further.

There doesn't seem to be an allen head in the base of the shaft to hold it in situ whilst doing up the nut either.

Do I need new tie rod ends? The joints are around 5-6 years old and otherwise in good condition.

Matt, have you tried sticking a trolley jack under the joint then jacking it up to tension it? If that don't hold I think from memory you can use some pipe grips as under the boots there are flats on the ball that you can grip

Thanks Just,

Putting jack under it won't help in this instance. The tie rods are not fixed so flail about.

The tie rod thread doesn't look to long enough to get a pair of grips on the top and still have enough thread to get a purchase but I will look again.

As it's the tie rod, I don't think jacking it up will make any difference. Try gripping the entire assembly in your fist as that can give enough friction to get the nut tight enough to stop the ball joint spinning. Failing that, a strategically placed G clamp to hold it. You'll find it won't need much clamping force - it just needs enough to overcome the nylon part of the nut.

Another option is to thread the nut onto the ball joint without it installed in the spindle so that it cuts a thread, then try it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can try with nut without nylon locking and tighten it. Then remove the normal nut and replace it with proper locking nut.

So I got them on but have issues.

The adjusters are set so stock height can be achieved and I have over an inch or so of spare travel downwards on the adjusters. But, the suspension arms are sitting on the upper bump stop so it won't physically go any further down. When I drop it on the wheels they sit tight against the underside of the seat.

What have I done wrong? Do I need to remove the bump stop? I can't see this giving me enough height though!

If the arms are sitting on the bump stops then the adjusters can't be anywhere near stock height. Are you sure you're rotating them in the correct direction? Assuming the locking pin for the adjusters is vaguely facing the rear of the van, you want to be rotating them to point downwards as far as the pin will go in its slot. Sometimes you'll need to remove the spindles, then adjust the leaves as high as they'll go, and then re-assemble the spindles.

The adjusters are in correct I am sure, as I helped fit them and the stock hole was retained.

The adjusters have around an inch of downwards movement available but the suspension arm is sitting on the upper bump stop and hence will not adjust any further round?

Surely I cant have put the suspension arms in wrong as the grub screw would have nowhere to sit on the ends if the torsion leaves?

We are off to Paignton this weekend so I may have to put the stock spindles back on and try to figure it all out.

I'm not sure you'll get away with keeping the bump stops.

You'll really need a low profile front tyre and coil overs with dropped spindles. It's not usually just a spindle swap.

If they are the French Slammer spindles that Graham supplies then they should only drop you 2.5", looking at the photos it looks more than that, are you sure the beam is back to stock?

Thanks all.

Yeah, the French slammers should give 2.5inch drop. I can't seem to return the beam to stock due to the suspension arms already as low as they can go as they are sitting on the upper bump stops.

No amount of pushing or pulling will allow the front wheels to drop down any more so I can then fix it at stock.

You need to take the arms off and rotate the leaves round on the adjusters. The natural sag of the arms means you'll struggle to get the adjusters in the stock position with them in place. Once you've rotated the leaves, the arms can be re-installed - although you'll find you need to lift them to get them fully home as they'll hit the bump stop otherwise. You're effectively preloading the suspension when the arms on the bump stops.

Moseley, thanks.

That info is a great help. I may have to bail on the idea of getting them done this week then. Probaly put it back to stock until I can get some more time.

We are supposed to be away in the Bus this weekend but work is just mental.

Just finished putting the OG spindles back on ready for a weekend camping.
So from this weeks shenanigans I have a list of things to do!
At least I have now adjusted the brakes so it will stop on a dime!

Latest posts