Dropped/Standard Spindles & Red9 Q **Wishbone Kit**

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creationblue

Reaction score
Guys

Thinking on from my planned brake upgrade, it occured to me that running WW spindles with the Red9 EZ rider 2-4" kit isnt really achieving anything :? The point of the Dropped spindles is to lower the bus whilst keeping the full travel on the leaves, but using tie-bars renders that idea useless..........so...........can anyone see any problems by putting the standard spindles back on and using the 5" drop coilovers? At present im on the highest setting on the coilovers coupled with the 2.5" spindles, so the 5" coilovers will give the same drop without the widened track 8)
Will the ball joints take a pounding? They have just been replaced so im not overly bothered. Any other problems i havnt thought of?

Just

You have similar to me, the reason the ww dropspindle in this application is straighten the ball joints whilst still being very slammed.
Yes you can put a standard spindle back on the frt, and a lower coilovers and achieve the same ride height but the ride quality and safety(balljoints) could be compromised.
You have a good set up in my opinion thats why i have pretty much the same.
I too have been considering frt brake options but then the steering box is starting to feel loose.... so the red9 twin wishbone kit http://www.red9design.co.uk/type2.htm is what im aiming for. Massive upgrade for the frt end, suspension, steering and braking in one hit :)

ant said:
You have similar to me, the reason the ww dropspindle in this application is straighten the ball joints whilst still being very slammed.
Yes you can put a standard spindle back on the frt, and a lower coilovers and achieve the same ride height but the ride quality and safety(balljoints) could be compromised.
You have a good set up in my opinion thats why i have pretty much the same.
I too have been considering frt brake options but then the steering box is starting to feel loose.... so the red9 twin wishbone kit http://www.red9design.co.uk/type2.htm is what im aiming for. Massive upgrade for the frt end, suspension, steering and braking in one hit :)

Shit Ant totally forgot about this 8) Not worth spending the thick end of £1k on the CSPs when you can get this.................Just add discs n calipers and they bolt on! 8) Im in!

Just

Just Ordered it :lol: Fitting in March when I get my bus back 8)

Ant, Si said you will be wanting commision soon!

Just

creationblue said:
Just Ordered it :lol: Fitting in March when I get my bus back 8)

Ant, Si said you will be wanting commision soon!

Just

You won't regret it, fitting is straight forward enough. I did have initial problems with the bevel box but Simon fabricated a new mount for me, only thing you may have to do is cut out the brake pipe bracket, swivel the brake pipe and weld the bracket in at a slightly different angle so it clears the wishbone sideplate. Other than that plain sailing :mrgreen:

Des

i have mine sitting in the garage, will be a few months before im at the fitting stage. The exact reason i went for it was the combination of getting rid of the steering box and having all that adjustability with much much better handling. Im really looking forward to driving it :) .

Des, can you outline what your exact bevel box problems were again? will i have the same issues?

Johnny said:
Ant, can you outline what your exact bevel box problems were again? will i have the same issues?

Sure you don't mean Des... :mrgreen:

My Bevel box issue was that the lever arm of the clutch pedal fouled the bevel box, restricting the pedals travel. Simon merely adjusted the angle of the bracket the bevel box mounts which moved the bevel box up/forward and higher into the chassis. The photo below is the bevel box in its old location.

IMG_6864.jpg

Now it sits much higher up. (Shit picture though, but you get the idea)

IMG_7015.jpg

I doubt you will face the same problem, I was one of the first batch of people to order so any little niggles have been ironed out.

Des

Just to jump in on this thread. Im running the 2-4" coilover Red9 kit. Got it down as low as it can go.

If i want to go a little lower should i look at the ww drop spindles giving me an extra 2.5" lower?

mattd1984 said:
Just to jump in on this thread. Im running the 2-4" coilover Red9 kit. Got it down as low as it can go.

If i want to go a little lower should i look at the ww drop spindles giving me an extra 2.5" lower?

Yes thats how im rolling right now, the coilovers are at the top on this pic, and as you can see need tweeking an inch or so.

Picture298.jpg

Just

mattd1984 said:

Hi im running the 2-4" coilovers with ww dropped spindles.
You will find that mixing the two will get you super low and with pretty straight ball joints.
The downfall is that it will be super low at its highest setting on the coilover.
To combat this Simon machined up some adaptors for me which make the coilovers slightly longer (about 1" to 1.5")
which gives you the adjustablilty back.

Hope that makes sense :)

Thanks guys thats a great help. I need to try and pick up some second hand ww spindles really. Times are hard at the moment!

Well jealous - the red 9 wishbone set up looks awesome and brings the whole front end up to date. better start saving. cant wait to see the pics!!

All my front end gear will be up for sale guys, WW spindles, Red9 Kit ect with the adaptors that Ant described above, but cant let them go until March time. What are they worth?

Just

Latest posts