Dual port performance cylinder heads 40 x 35.5

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manxfella

Reaction score
I'm looking at a couple of different options regarding heads for a 1776 type 1 engine to speed up my 71 Bay.

I've seen the following PAIRS of heads available from the US and wondered if anybody has any experience of either make?

AA Performance Products, California:
This is a brand new Set of 2 High Performance Cylinder Heads for a VW Type 1 2 or 3 Dual Port. Head comes with Stainless Steel 40mm Intake and a Stainless Steel 35.5mm Exhaust Valves, with Harden Keepers, Chromoly retainers, and Single high rev springs. Its ready to install.

$557.80 / £348 delivered

AirCooled.net, Utah:
Dual Port Cylinder Head, 40 x 35.5mm Valves, PAIR, 500-420 are a GREAT deal on a pair of Big Valve heads for that engine project you are going to do! These are complete with Valves, Guides, Springs, Keepers, Retainers, bolt them on.

$665 / £419 delivered

If anybody has any other suggestions I'd be happy to hear.

Cheers.

I got mine from here - G03 same size with the valve job - make sure sure that you request it - as my set weren't done - I did get them collected early by a friend so that was probably the reason!

https://www.drdracingheads.com/xcart/DRD-40X35.5mm-Performance-Big-Valved-heads-85.5mm-bore-Built-in-the-USA.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder if the head castings are the same (other than the Mofoco)

I'm only wanting a reliable unit with a bit of umph when needed. I spoke to Paul at Harry Harpic who couldn't have been more helpful regarding my requirements and after some discussion, I suggested supplying a pair of big valve heads myself for him to use with the build of which he was happy to agree. He's used both the Aircooled.net & Mofoco, but mentioned there were lots of others out there, but was uncertain on their casting origins.

Quite simply I don't want to pay top dollar for an item which is sold on a name, but has exactly the same hardware as a lower priced units.

Steve Tims heads are the ones the guy in the Youtube video refers to. Lots of info about them on the Samba.

I'd recommend DRD L5's, assembled in 049's castings which are almost sexual! Got the CNC ported version on my 2110.

John at aircooled.net is a top gut - I rate him - I'd check as the big valve might be too much for a 1776 - I'd have got better torque and burn reaction (I think that's what I was told?) with smaller valves - I hope to go upto 2l ish (same as jon 1955cc) at the end of this year.

I also very lightly cleaned up the ports on mine and match ported to the manifolds - maybe squeezing a little bit out but helps for a smooth engine I hope

I'll send aircooled.net an email & let them know my intentions.

I'm quite taken by the DRD racing heads in 049 castings. By the time duty etc is paid, they come out at about £500 for the pair which is much less than a lower spec uk sourced set from the likes of empi

I'm going on the advice I was given by Paul at Harry Harpics who by all accounts knows his stuff and has some great reviews on here.

Latest posts