Dull Headlights

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owent2005

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to EarlyBay having owned my van for a little over six months but have already found the forums helpful. The problem I have is that my headlights are quite dull to the point that I need them on full beam to drive at night, then going to dipped when necessary which isn't great! Ive checked the voltage at the bulb and its just over 12.5 volts. The question I have is is this normal or is there something I can do to make them better?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Wiring, reflectors, alignment and bulbs. Really, they're the key items that need to be in good order to ensure your headlights are working to the optimum.

Wiring, although a little fiddly, can be replaced easily enough. It's worth checking the voltage at the various feed points to the headlights as the power supply comes via the headlight switch and fuse box. You should really see around 14v with the engine running (and revved a little if you're still on a dynamo).

The other items will be found when stripping the headlights. I've recently had my reflectors re-plated and upgraded to H4 Philips headlight bulbs, and instantly the beam pattern is more like a modern car again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a pretty thorough article about upgrading headlights:

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/BoschH4.html

By the way, the Ratwell website is a very good source of information. TheSamba.com is another great resource with its gallery of photographs. If you need information quickly, it's always a good idea to check them out as well as EarlyBay and see if there's anything on there that could help you. :)

Ok thanks, i've H4 lamps fitted so i'll check the wiring etc and check the voltage with the engine running.

Ive changed my headlights from H4 with refracting glass (ridges in glass) to reflector lenses (clear glass) and the step up in performance is really good. If you have 3 screw fitting to the body then this is an easy change. It's also worth making sure that you've got no moisture in there and that you have a seal on the back of the bulb

In fact..... having done this i then found an second unused pair of lamps in the garage that I'll sell. Marked as Mk1 golf headlamps - £25 plus postage if you're interested (includes VW seals for the bulb holder)

Embarrassed to say the first time I drove mine at night I had no idea the switch had two stops so was driving on the dimmest of dim side lights...

A bit of thread revival here! I've just been searching all the posts as i need to replace my headlights and would like to upgrade.

Bluesnailman, you mention you now have the clear flat glass headlights. Have you got any pics?
I've seen lot's of headlights on ebay for mk1 golf but not usre what they would look like in a bus?

iknowdavehouse said:
Embarrassed to say the first time I drove mine at night I had no idea the switch had two stops so was driving on the dimmest of dim side lights...

Effing brilliant :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,made i larf :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Latest posts