Dynamo removal

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gar

Reaction score
Hi,
I need to replace the dynamo on my 71 bus with another. Whats the quickest way to remove this?. Do I have to remove the manifold to access the backing plate?. Fairly new at fixing aircooled engines so any advice appreciated.
Cheers,

Best bet is to work with a manual (Haynes) Don't have to mess with manifold. Why not upgrade to an alternator? Better charging and electrics.

OK. Most people will tell you that it's a faff, and normally it is. Normally the route is similar to:

Remove air cleaner
remove carb
loosen and remove manifold ends, this will include removing the rear tinware to get access to the inlet manifold (centre section) pre-heat screws.
remove 4 x screws holding the dynamo backplate onto the fan shroud (fiddly! Inlet manifold is in the way)
remove dynamo strap
remove dynamo stand, undo 4 x nuts holding in plate (fiddly! inlet manifold is in the way)
remove dynamo
celebrate, nurse broken fingers

However, there is a second way. It's not always possible, but if it is it'll save you a bumload of time. The main problem with route 1 is that the fan is too deep to get the dynamo out at any cheeky angles, so we remove the fan.

remove air cleaner
remove dynamo strap (fiddly! carb in way, can remove it if ya fancy)
with a 36mm socket, 4" extension and ratchet, and with a screwdriver in the slot to hold the upper pulley still, undo the centre 36mm nut on the back- so reach around, and undo it blind. There are two big washers between the fan and the housing.
remove 4 x screws holding the dynamo backing plate onto the fan shroud
remove fan assembly
Celebrate.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the advice and will give it a go. Thought about alternator but happy to use dynamo as manage to find one at a good price, Cheers

Its 'probably' easier to whip the engine out in reality.

Happystamps said:
OK. Most people will tell you that it's a faff, and normally it is. Normally the route is similar to:

with a 36mm socket, 4" extension and ratchet, and with a screwdriver in the slot to hold the upper pulley still, undo the centre 36mm nut on the back- so reach around, and undo it blind. There are two big washers between the fan and the housing.

I found that step to be the difficult one! The nut can be very tight so not always possible to get it off. Worth a try though :)

67westy said:
Happystamps said:

I found that step to be the difficult one! The nut can be very tight so not always possible to get it off. Worth a try though :)

Exactly right. You might be lucky, you might not...

Latest posts