Dynamo to alternator

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earlydave

Reaction score
Asking for a friend , they are looking to convert from dynamo to alternator , who does the best kits? And do you need to change fuel pump ( some seem to say you do and some don’t ) ?? Any help or advice appreciated !

In terms of kits you probably want to consider a Bosch alternator bit you do pay extra for them.

As far as i know a dynamo fuel pump wont clear the alternator so will need swapping out for the slightly angled alternator pump don't forget you will need the shorter push rod aswell to go with the alternator pump 100mm I think, the 108mm dyno pump rod will trash a new alternator pump .
Basically a dyno pump sits upright and an alternator pump sits at an angle and is shorter to clear the alternator body .

If that makes sense ???

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

You'll need the alternator, the backing plate for the fan, the pedestal the fuel pump sits on and also a fuel pump that clears the alternator. Some kits include a spacer for the stock carb too as the wider alternator body can interfere with the carb operation.

I got the bits together seperately over a few months because I wanted a Bosch alternator and genuine stand/backing plate.

All easy to get hold of. Using an internally regulated alternator means a slight wiring change, but nothing too difficult!

Latest posts