Earliest RHD bay - anyone know of any older ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oldest surviving RHD bus - well done soya :!:

Just glad that I am older than the oldest bay :roll:

Heres some work in progress pics :shock:

C4.jpg

C6.jpg

C5.jpg

whos doing the work lou?
its not wa*****se from the look off the pics in the background (thank god!)

Its a local guy, reccomended to me by someone i work with. He's done alot of welding and mot work on my orange bay, so i know i can trust him to do a good job on this one :D
I havnt been to "the other place" at all since i found this one :wink:

glad to hear it, they are a bunch of muppets :lol:
what you going to wheels day in, your orange bay?

Saw this thread over on Vzi in which someone was talking about there being a mid Aug. 67 Devon around in Halifax, which would make it a VERY early RHD - needs more investigation I think ...

flyingbusman on here appears to have the oldest RHD - Aug 30th 67 - also a Devon which makes it very early ...

we need pics of this cheeky early! 8)

Here's some pics!!

Her name is Toby (only called toby as someone spraypainted the name on the inside and its a she because its definately not a male van... the little b****!!).

She's not that pretty...yet...but its only paint.

I think shes had a pretty harsh life as there has been quite abit of body work and some missing interior, but she's on the road and covers at least 40 miles per day, everyday and at nearly 41 thats not bad going!!! :)

This is how i got her!!
100_0260.jpg

This is what happened in between
100_0396.jpg

and this is how she is now as i needed her on the road I couldn't get a proper paint job on.
DSC00043.jpg

had her on the road 2 years now. I'm gonna sort the previous bad repair jobs out before giving her a fresh paint job. Then look at re-building the interior as per the original (especially as shes potentially the oldest surviving Devon caravette).

Mine is not rhd, but appears to be rather early. The chassis number has been hacked out as seems to be the way in CA when stuff gets scrapped. However, two of the rims & the speedo have 10/67 stamped on them indicating October 67. Also, the best bit, the cab doors are stamped 2/67 and 3/67. That throws a spanner in the works as to how early production of parts began.......Hmmm.

Cheers for the compliments. I am pround of her and as this is my first dub and a very steep learning curve, i'm doubly proud. I had her about a year before she saw the road and many winter midnights were seen outside trying to get her back together.

Interior still has the bed and draw unit aswell as the cooker and cabinet. Also have one of the upright cupboards. Still have the overhead cupboard.

I'm missing the table, the tap (goes in cook cabinet). Not sure what the tap should be connected to. Also missing the second upright cabinet, cool box and buddy seats.

The interior trim is light grey leatherette according to the M-codes which would fit as that is still present in the back (I have different door cards on the front). I only had the drivers seat but managed to find a pair of seats in the correct colour. Also not sure what colour/finish the cushions should be as previous owner threw them and had new ones made with a blue fabric finish. So far i have only seen 68 Devons with Red seats and cushions anyone know why?

Does anyone know if it is possible to get door and interior cards in original materials? Colour and finish.

I make it my mission at each show i attend to find the earliest devon bay possible to compare the interior. So far i have only found one bus with the same interior and that was a picture i accidentally stumbled across on here. All other 68 Devons have different cooker cabinets and also they are all red iterior finish including the one i found that has the same cooker cabinet.

I want to find out as much as possible about the early Devon interiors before i get to sorting it out and what would be even better is finding something out about the history of my bus.

That must be so amazing knowing that some thing you have is so scarce/rare! Although like you have said,a nightmare finding parts and information about it.

Good luck with it

any more pics??

Alex

Flyingbusman, I have a 68 Devon Caravette in West Sussex with a very original interior. Your welcome to come and have a look at it if you want and am happy to help you out with any queries.

I'm sure I've seen your bus at some South-east shows selling parts. Incidentally my cushions are black vinyl and a goldy-yellow fabric on one side.

Latest posts