Early Bay -engine intake swap

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busdriver

Reaction score
Hi all

I just joined the Happy Throng here on Early Bay..so HELLO

I have a question that you may or may not have dealt with before..

I've got 3 early Bay Buses, a 70 Dormobile and 2 72 Mircobuses..yea I know :shock:

What I would like to do is take the rear quarters from the 70 and install them on the 72.

Technically not that hard but I am concerned about the engine getting the right amount of air from the smaller , but WAY cooler (pun intended), 70 engine intake on the top corner.

Are my concerns Justified?? or Can I add extra cooling holes on the inside wall, drawing air from the interior of the Bus.?? I'd mount small fans to ensure that the cooling air goes into the engine compartment and not get fumes into the Bus interior.

Anyone done this??

Bruce

Welcome to the forum.

Theres no issues with the size of the intakes. The later intakes were larger to compensate for them working less as scoops. Theres no problems with early intakes coping with engines of well over 2 liters.

The only intake issues there are relate to the splits, which only had slots in the side of the body, which are not quite sufficient for the later, higher output, doghouse fans in hot conditions.

One thing to bear in mind is such a hybrid will not be popular and its value will suffer.

Latest posts