Early Bay front tinware

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no 6

Reaction score
My '69 bus (twinport) came without the front tinware (ie the bit over the gearbox). I bought what I thought was the relevant bit and fitted it to the back of the engine, but there's still a gap of a few inches up to the body seal. Did I get the wrong piece, or is there another bit I need to find.

I've spent ages looking at all the catalogues and everybody seems to offer the same bits for bugs and busses.

What's in yours ?

Thanks.

When mine arrived from the States it also was missing that piece of tin ware. I ordered the piece from a local supplier and took it with my van to 56-67 who has done work for me before. When they went to fit it , it was the wrong piece, I was lucky beause they had a piece that was the correct one. So I would think that you have allso been supplied with the wrong one. I believe its a one off for fitting a twin port in an early bay.

Its the same as beetle with an extension piece added,have got ajig to make extension piece.If interested in one pm mob no or phone 07979460118 cheers STEVE.Also replied on VZI.

71 had the one year only firewall tin...you could go the way 67 Bay advised, or look for a real german single port tin from a bus and cut out the rectangular hole for the oil cooler tin exit out of.

'67 BAY said:
Its the same as beetle with an extension piece added,have got ajig to make extension piece.If interested in one pm mob no or phone 07979460118 cheers STEVE.Also replied on VZI.

Steve - I'll be in touch. Are you going to Vanfest ?

dropgates said:
71 had the one year only firewall tin...you could go the way 67 Bay advised, or look for a real german single port tin from a bus and cut out the rectangular hole for the oil cooler tin exit out of.

Dropgates, Interesting comment. There is quite a lot of '71 in my '69 and that must be one of the bits.

1968 to 1970 Bay Busses in the US ( don't know about UK) got the added hieght on the corners to the B ug firewall tin. Then in 71 with the 1600 DP was the 1 year only doghouse firewall tin. If you have access to the jig it should be easy to weld up a standard beatle piece to fit. HTH.

Latest posts