Early to late bay steering box swap

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gagvanman

Reaction score
Finally got round to completing the swap of my early bay steering box to a late bay one.
A bit of hassle to cut the chassis leg to the right shape to fit the late bay box and move one of the mounting bolt holes. But what a difference in the steering, even the wife can drive the bus now.

Here are some photo's

Chassis leg cut to template of the new box:

Other side of chassis leg, hole enlarged - lot of filing:

Chassis painted with POR15, Pittman arm connected to steering box and drag link (still got to fit the lock washer):

Late bay box in place:

Hi can I ask a couple of questions please?

what made you decide to do this conversion?

did you have to cut anything from the front valance?

The red thing bolted to the new 'box looks like the horn, why mount it there?

cheers :)

Nice job and good photos too. Thanks for posting, I am sure others will benefit from these.

It's a much nicer box isn't it :)

What did you use to do the cutting?

Hi Mike202.

Had the van for about 5 years, so kind of got used to the heavy steering especially when parking and thought it was normal. However, it started to get heavier and heavier and the wife couldn't drive it. Then I drove my sons late bay and nearly crashed because the steering was so light. I then started to search for possible conversions and here we are, done and its great.

Didn't have to cut anything from the front valance, but did have to do a little panel beating to clear the larger size box.

The horn was mounted on the old steering box when we got the van, so rather than mess about with wiring I left it where it was, seems ok there.

Trikky2, I used a normal angle grinder with a part worn 2 mm cutting disk, awkward but just doable.

Also something I'd like to do! How much was the late box? Any other parts needed ?

If you get one of the brand new LB box's you don't have to clearance the valance because the casing is a different shap, there was a router going round that you don't have to open the hole on chassis but I have offered my one up yet so can't say for sure.

Andy_sheff - Late bay box cost £250 from company in Doncaster. Bought on faith, but the guy did say he would change it if it was no good. I made sure I got the late bay pitman arm and the backing plate in the same deal, no other parts needed.

Sam, my Early Bay is RHD and they only make new boxes for it only LHD.

Ahh ok sorry I made an assumption there and auto pilot due to my and all my friends busses being LHD.
What is the backing plate ?

Ahh cool, mines lhd, where's good for the brand new ones? I'd be surprised if they bolt straight on !

Latest posts