Easy way to narrow a bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddffrost

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been told you can get a narrowed look by putting skinny splitty wheels on a bay.

Is there any truth in this? Do splitty wheels fit an early bay 68?

If so anyone got any pics?

Dave

I got some 15" split rims coming to go on my 69 Panel van Dave so i think they should go on a 68 too :? . They arent as wide i dont think could be wrong . I`m getting em to put on when i lower mine ,
Hope this helps mate :wink:

Grazy said:
I got some 15" split rims coming to go on my 69 Panel van Dave so i think they should go on a 68 too :? . They arent as wide i dont think could be wrong . I`m getting em to put on when i lower mine ,
Hope this helps mate :wink:

cool

how come your going for 15 split rims dude?

You going for narrowed beam or just lowered?

Also where you getting the split rims from do places do new ones?

i had the same thought but with the wheels from a 65 beetle.. anyone know if it would work? i know they'll fit but are they strong enough and wotnot??

laurence said:
i had the same thought but with the wheels from a 65 beetle.. anyone know if it would work? i know they'll fit but are they strong enough and wotnot??

I think 66 bug wheels will go on mate they might be same as the 65 ones :?

ddffrost said:
cool

how come your going for 15 split rims dude?

You going for narrowed beam or just lowered?

Also where you getting the split rims from do places do new ones?

just been told that split rims fit and cant afford new wheels so going for them until I can afford some alloys . Going Lo and 2" Narrowed beam

i am getting mine off a guy called Scott Wilson on here he is currently away in South Africa sourcing parts , I don`t know if anywhere does em new , maybe try SSP , Vw heratige or Cool Air , etc . I wanted ratty ones so hence why i want second hand , but you could always get them stripped then powder coated if you want them to look new 8)

cool.

I want to get mine on a narrowed beam at some point soon but its looking like i need to replace all the rubbers soon so i think that will drain the bank.

Found a easy way to get me bus a fair bit lower though.

Get two of your fat mates to sit in it lol.

heres the evidence

SL370062.jpg

SL370065.jpg

bug 15" are 4.5 by 15 whereas bay 14" are 5.5 by 14 so you lose an inch on the rim but i think its half an inch either side of the rim.
:wink:

Drop your entire brake set up and run spindle mounted wheels for the ultimate narrowed look. :lol:

dyn003_original_647_502_pjpeg_22318_cd0d745c08b6432c3c804ffdab5ec5d7.jpg

My brakes might as well be i'm using the tested method of throwing an anchor out of the window and praying technique at the moment!

like the man above says..offset is one to look out for..Another eg would be if you are planning to run Empi 5's...try get yourself ROCKETS rather than MWS as they have a sweet ofset :)

Justin & Mutley said:
It's all about the offset - get yourself some NSU Fuch alloys (14") - they'll give you the look you're after...

CIMG1295.JPG

;)

Also 4.5" FLAT 4 FUCH'S

yer i hear that MWS have shocking offsets!

I dont want to go super narrowed just noticable

also i hear if you use a splitty bean you can go for dropped spindles and get a smoother ride?

Dave