Electric Earlybays?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TakeLifeEasy

Reaction score
With today's announcement about banning petrol and diesel cars by 2040, where does everyone think that will leave vintage cars and more importantly, VW Campervans? Do we feel we will see conversions to gas for our bays or electric conversions?
Could this be the death of the VDub engine noise we are so use to?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40726868

I think it`s a brilliant solution and I hope the rest of the world isn`t far behind. This only applies to new cars and not existing models. The existing models will gradually thin out to next to nothing just by natural wastage and they will not be used as daily long distance transport as I should imagine the cost of fuel will rise because of supply and demand. When we go to various shows nowdays, you may notice less and less old beetles and splits but also a lot less being camped in possibly because of their increase in value and possibly because people don`t wish to be quite so primitive when camping. I even saw someone with a bell tent with a woodburner in it too just last weekend, I was well impressed. Recycling the batteries needs a good looking at too because there will be a fair few of them to sort out. Electric cars and vans with solar panel roofs may even mean some who drive very little could possibly end up with free fuel and that don`t seem a bad thing, someone like the elderly lady in my street who picks up two other ladies and takes them to church and back every Sunday morning. Reducing our reliance on dwindling fossil fuels and resources is a must. Because of the nature of air travel I can`t see electric becoming a thing, trains yes but not planes.I believe a lot of ships are powered by electric generated by their own on board generators but these are presumably fossil fueled, so nuclear looks to be the answer there. Are we leading the way ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It`d be nice for a change :mrgreen:

I wonder if some day, even vintage cars have to be converted as it may become socially unacceptable to drive a dirty carbon burning car

TakeLifeEasy said:
I wonder if some day, even vintage cars have to be converted as it may become socially unacceptable to drive a dirty carbon burning car

The way hipsters work if its not mainstream they'll love it

In other words by 2040 all the Espresso beard wearing lot will be driving Welderup-style diesel belching monsters :lol: just to avoid being 'mainstream' . They'll also argue the pollution they give off is less than what it would cost the planet to make a new lithium battery. :p

as a non smoker, you know when you walk into a pub where someone has a had a crafty fag - and you think that's how a pub should smell...?

Maybe one day when we're being wheeled around in google invalid carriages we'll have the same nostalgia for a bit of genuine old skool fully leaded car fume !

slow-lane-Matt said:
as a non smoker, you know when you walk into a pub where someone has a had a crafty fag - and you think that's how a pub should smell...?

Maybe one day when we're being wheeled around in google invalid carriages we'll have the same nostalgia for a bit of genuine old skool fully leaded car fume !

Its like when a 2 stroke scooter comes past, love the smell

They should bottle the smell of 2 stroke fumes. 8) Another downer on electric cars no oil on hands no old smell of oil and petrol in the engine bay. The change to electric will be gradual up to 2040 we probably won't even notice the take over. Then you will need to be on pop star wages to run an old VW.

I will tow mine behind my electric car and kip in it whilst laying under neath it just for nostalgia purposes. :msn4:

Electric cars a stopgap measure whilst the oil companies buy up all the hydrogen production/storage and distribution rights.
Once they are all lined up Hydrogen Fuel cell cars will become much more commonplace with the old service stations upgraded to dispense Hydrogen instead of petrol/diesel as these fuels are phased out.
There isnt the infrastructure, powergrid or natural resources to maintain a supply of rare earth metals to generate enough batteries. Never mind the problems with actually charging the cars these batteries are installed to.
I can see Hydrogen generating a decent tax revenue for the government too as it will be treated like every other fuel £££££££££

I'd love an electric motor in my bay and I've no doubt we'll be seeing more and more conversion kits in the future. It's not as if it'll be a tight squeeze for those power cells and there'd be no more seemingly random fires.

You can double down on the hippy vibe too if you don't look into battery production too closely.

Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU1m4xBEFDs and
http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=226&osCsid=gheuduihq82b5umppbk6uamer0

I'd love to do it one day.

Don't know why everyone's panicking about oil. I work for an oil company and there's no danger of it running out anytime soon. May be more difficult to get to in the future but the technology is always progressing to get to it. Battery power isn't quite there yet, not for commercial purposes anyway. Charge are about the only firm making real progress in the electric truck / lorry. Imagine the hours and miles a delivery driver has to do in a typical day, sometimes over 600 miles with only minuets at each drop. No battery exists with that sort of range yet.
Of course, if I was cynical i'd say the drive towards using less oil is aimed at toppling the power in the middle eastern countries therefore giving the west back it's hierarchy as it had before.

Latest posts