Electrical hookup - Female socket in van

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iknowdavehouse

Reaction score
I've just been checking out the electrical hookup put in my bus by a previous owner. I've barely used the hookup at campsites previously but this end should be male, not female right? Do I need to put in a new socket or is there a convertor plug available? I've looked around but I can't find anything online...

2co0ok7.jpg

Ive wired mine like this as mines under the van so I wanted a flappy lid like yours in the pic.

Just cut the end off your hookup cable and wire in a new plug? There only £6 in screwfix and £3 on ebay.

Or if you don't want to damage your hookup cable, buy both ends and make a short adapter cable like this

31AQWjJf1-L.jpg

If your not electrically minded, its only 3 wires

Personally i'd change the socket on your van as it's potentially dangerous if you didn't plug into the van first. Regardless of that fact, as an electrician myself it's just plain dangerous anyway.

If you search "16a appliance inlet" you'll get what you need, but you may have to search a little harder to get one with a dust cover over it ... then it's just a case of swapping it over like for like and you're good to go.

Cheers

Thanks for the info, I was considering making a male to male lead up but I was concerned about safety as matty has mentioned. I'll see what I can get hold of...I think I've seen some separate dust caps that might do the trick...

Yeah get that changed buddy, really dangerous to have a live plug going into that.