Electrical wizards needed for advice! 1972 crossover woes...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morganrue

Reaction score
Hello- I posted a question recently and received from Trikky2, a quick and useful reply. while my luck is in, I will try another two sparky questions!

1) On my (Cali import) bus, the hazard flashers work fine, including the two repeaters in the dash.

The indicator stalk is not original, and I need to do a lot of reading before I can wire it up correctly. My questions are: does the same relay which clicks when the hazards are on, work as the turn signal relay too? My fuse box has currently three relay-looking devices- one is in fact a buzzer for leaving the key in the lock and opening the door. It doesn't work and I can live with that. One must be the flasher/hazard, and the other the main/dip, I guess.

What really puzzles me is this: the two repeaters in the dash (L and R) are both positioned in "islands" of +12V, within the pod. from this, I figure that the wires feeding these two are grounded by the hazard flasher function.

If so, how can the two little lights both be linked together, as shown in the wiring diagram? What possible way could either one or the other flash independently of the other?

2) Does the headlamp dip/main function work as in a Beetle, i.e. a latching relay doing the switching, and the stalk just providing a momentary earth when deployed?

If these questions mean nowt to you, lucky you. I wish I didn't need to know all this! But without help, summer will come and go without us getting the equivalent of an MoT.....

regards

Morgan

Mine is a 70 so possibly different wiring but both my indicator tell tales flash regardless of which way I am turning so that sounds correct.

Three relays are left to right - indicators/lights/buzzer (I think) as you look at the fuse box
Recently had my light one to pieces as it was stuck and wouldn't disengage main beam!

And my buzzer doesn't work either.

The indicator tell tales on the dash ligh up together on a stock bus.

Admittedly, if one really wanted to, it is possible to wire them separately by disconnecting them and providing new seperate feeds, one from each side to each bulb.

Yes the main and dip relay and stalk work the same way as a beetle ie. a latching relay.

Latest posts