electronic ignition

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmcg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry this has probably been done to death...

Planning on putting electronic bits into my 009 distributor and a new coil etc.
My points are ok but would like to not have to adjust them, and the consistent better starting.

Accuspark vs petronix, are petronix really worth the extra £££, as far as I can see are just a similar box of tricks?

Accuspark is that much cheaper could get two units and keep one as a spare. :)

I've used both - Pertronix in 009 and Accuspark in SVDA. Both were as good as each other in my experience.

I've had an Accuspark on my 2332 in the bug 009 dizzy for 4 years now with no issues at all. I have one in my bus, stock 1600 twin port, DVDA dizzy, again absolutely no issues with timing at all.

Accuspark has not let me down, had it on the van for years now, great value for money. Got the ebay deal with dizzy,coil , leads and plugs.

atafonso said:
Keeping a set of points and condenser in the glovebox just in case is a good idea if the electronic ignition fails.
Abel

Good idea, but, I had a Pertronix one in my fastback some years ago and it failed. I changed it for the points I was carrying but it still wouldn't run because the coil had failed as well, or it might have been the coil that failed and took out the Pertronix unit. Don't know for sure.

Since then though, I have run with Pertronix and EMPI modules in other aircooled with no problems at all.

Thanks for advice all, some scrabbling and poking around at the weekend, checked the valve clearances, fitted the accuspark (lots of swearing at the rubber cable grommet) and woke most the neighbors on our street checking the timing, very noticeable difference super smooth idling and starting.

Latest posts