Engine and Gearbox Value

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mustard72

Reaction score
hi all, I am after some advice as to how much my engine and gearbox are worth. I am currently out of work and need funds to pay some bills, so may be looking at selling my engine and gearbox. the engine is a 1600 tp and came out of my earlybay. the engine was a replacement by vw in the late 70 or early 80s, was informed this by the previous owner, and has the vw astrix marks on the engine case. the engine is currently in my beetle and drives fine. would be looking to sell as a complete turn key ready to go engine. the gearbox as far as I know is a standard earlybay gearbox. any info on how much these are worth is gratefully welcome!!!!

jason

Is the engine a short or long block? ie does it have tinware and ancillaries, or just the basic block?

Stock 1600 gearboxes are about £300?

hi clem. would poss sell the engine as long block but may keep the tinware, as could get more money for it being ready to go. thanks for the reply. will check gearbox code as well. the engine is standard as far as I know, and also the oil filter. just looking for some guide prices as may have to sell few items. thanks again for reply clem.

jason

I’m interested in this too as I’ve just removed the 1600 tp from mine and will be looking to sell.

I’ve kept the tinwear for my new engine but would go with everything else, generator, fan, electronic ignition in the vac dizzy, oil filter, heat exchangers etc.

In my head I’m thinking £600 so am interested if this is around the right price.

hi bobster. that sounds like a good price to market it at. like you, looking for a guide price, but your value seems to be fair. if needs must, and I have to sell, which I might do, I think I will advertise it at around that price. does anyone else think that is a fair price???

sparkywig said:
I advertised my turnkey singleport last year for £650. It sold within 10 minutes.

Excuse my ignorance but is turnkey with all tinwear etc, do out of one bus and straght into the next so to speak.

Bobster said:
sparkywig said:
I advertised my turnkey singleport last year for £650. It sold within 10 minutes.

Excuse my ignorance but is turnkey with all tinwear etc, do out of one bus and straght into the next so to speak.

Yes, connect a battery and it starts.

Cool, so without the tinware but with all other ancillaries, is that still classed as a longblock ?

Thanks sparky wig, so it's not turnkey but slightly more than a longblock due to the generator, dizzy, coil etc.

Latest posts