Engine Bay AIR Temps

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g16stu

Reaction score
Just a quick question; what is the max AIR temp in the engine bay, im looking into automatice fire extiguishers and want to know what temp to set it to trip at? i know the oil temp is around 100 deg C but how does this translate to the air temp in the engine compartment?

cheers

stu

im thinking of this http://www.fireblitz.co.uk/DataSheets/FBA_P1_2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ANAF-1KG-AUTO.jpg

but it goes off at 79 deg c, im thinking that might be a little too early?

I know the firetek units tube goes pop at 110degs c,

that probably doesent help but gives you a good idea, i would guess it'll be ok
but guessing is good when it comes to fire! :(

Luke

Firetec offer 2 blow temp hoses you want the 80 degree one for a bay......

that extinguisher in the pic is junk it will probably save our van and life but you may well loose your engine bay and contents there in you want something that will react to source like the firetec set up where the hose routes around the bay and trips at a hotspot quenching the fire at its onset....

Thats true to some extent, but given that its in a pretty much sealed environment i believe the oxygen suppression should be quick enough to prevent any major damage, besided it only costs 25 quid! :)

The problem is more one of direction it uses a rose to splash the contents and the length of these makes them nigh on impossible to orientate correctly....

Now with regards to oxygen you have two huge vents uptop and a monstrous fan to the front ..... drwaing air in from all over......

that shut off valve is a very good idea, is the low output one sufficient for all vw engines or are there instances where a high flow version needed (big engine with 44's?)

unbelievable, i just fitted a temperature data logger in the engine bay of the bus to try to get an idea of the air temps where id like to mount the above extinguisher, bolted to the spare wheel recess in the engine bay and sticking out about 6 inches towards the engine.
i drove 15 minutes to the motorway, 15 minutes on the motorway and 25 back through town home, on the motorway i was doing 70 to 75 the whole way.
the temp peaked about 5 mins into the motorway stretch and stayed level, +-2 to 3 degrees for the rest of the motorway trip. the temp peaked at 31.2 degrees! i couldnt believe it, and its 23 degrees outside today!
going to try it again tomorrow, but its an expensive piece of kit i used so im pretty sure the readings are good

stu

BJ1 said:
A fuel cut off solenoid is probably the best thing you can fit to deal with fire. Extinguishers like the Fireblitz are useless if the fuel hose has melted and the tank is pouring fuel on to the fire. So fit a cut off like this one for £12.55 + VAT http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/acatalog/Filter_shut-off_valves_and_filter_elements.html#a63

Liking the look of that.
Worth its weight in gold if it works properly.
Should imagine that would be fine on a standard 1600cc Van.

Rich

g16stu said:
unbelievable, i just fitted a temperature data logger in the engine bay of the bus to try to get an idea of the air temps where id like to mount the above extinguisher, bolted to the spare wheel recess in the engine bay and sticking out about 6 inches towards the engine.
i drove 15 minutes to the motorway, 15 minutes on the motorway and 25 back through town home, on the motorway i was doing 70 to 75 the whole way.
the temp peaked about 5 mins into the motorway stretch and stayed level, +-2 to 3 degrees for the rest of the motorway trip. the temp peaked at 31.2 degrees! i couldnt believe it, and its 23 degrees outside today!
going to try it again tomorrow, but its an expensive piece of kit i used so im pretty sure the readings are good

stu

Quite logical. Think about the amount of air passing through when driving.

High temperatures will only occur if theres missing tinware/seals which allow the fan to draw hot air from round the engine instead of cool air through the vents. Thats why the tinware and seals are there. :)

Normally peak air temperatures in the engine compartment will occur with a hot engine after its stopped.

weeboll said:
that shut off valve is a very good idea, is the low output one sufficient for all vw engines or are there instances where a high flow version needed (big engine with 44's?)

According to the company the low output sender is fine for engines up to 3 litre.

Latest posts