Engine bay seal

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdeano

Reaction score
Hi all, i haven't got any seal where the body meets the tinwear, so was wondering if its an engine out job or could it be done with engine in, prefer engine in as not confident yet to drop it out, and which is the better seal to use, cheers

Nope, with the engine in. Important bit of kit that so make sure you get one fitted

Thats the one, so engine can stay in then!, does anyone know the best one to use?

bigdeano said:
Thats the one, so engine can stay in then!, does anyone know the best one to use?

I think this is one of those cases where it`s not extremely important how good it is,, just that it `is ' in there stopping most of the heat going from one area to the other inadvertently . There are two different types though, one looks like a large wiper blade rubber and the other looks like a long foam rsj, the foam one is for 71 / 72 onwards and the wiper blade ish looking one is for 70 and before. The early ones have a removeable valance and the later ones don`t but they have got a toy rollercoaster set in the back, ;) :lol: ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

Mines a '71, some info says '72 upwards its the foam and the rubber one for mine, and engine out!, foam looks the easier to do so was wondering if i could use it on my '71?

bigdeano said:
Mines a '71, some info says '72 upwards its the foam and the rubber one for mine, and engine out!, foam looks the easier to do so was wondering if i could use it on my '71?

Has yours got a removeable rear valance ? Does the panel behind the rear bumper unbolt and bring the valance out with it ? That`s the dividing point I think. If yours is in one piece at the rear and you have the little rollercoaster on the left then you need the foam.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Or give us a piccy to work from :mrgreen:

Yep removable rear valence and no rollercoaster, so its a matter of removing the tinwear not the engine and buying the rubber seal not the foam?

Done mine on my 69 with engine in , I used washing up liquid as a lubricant in the groove ! :msn4:

washing up liquid / liquid dish wash works a treat for lubrication of the groove. and if the groove is incorrect (been beat up), try one of these tools to correct it in mins. ;)

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=57005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nicely put my friend,, but once you got your grooves lined up, if it`s still STIFF then try KY Jelly,, :msn4:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Works on all sorts :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts