Engine Misfire/Fuel Starve Issue

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seamus1982

Reaction score
Hi, it’s been a while.
Hoping to have a bit of help. The van has started playing up, intermittent misfire, which I’ve been trying to trace, but difficult as it’s so intermittent.
Took her out today to try and re-enact issue, but now she’s just not wanting to run.
When I rev, she starts to rev, but then nothing happens a bit of a stutter, before she does heaps of revs again.

I’ve added a vid. Any thoughts

Thanks in advance, Sean

Attachments

• IMG_1247.mov
    45.3 MB
That does sound like lack of spark to me. First things first though. Clean, gap and check your points , plus get inside the distributor for the wires etc, pull the plate out and look at it and wiggle everything. Check your ignition leads, don’t just wiggle them, pull them out and inspect them and make sure they’re contacting into the distributor and the plug sockets. I think it’ll be the coil lead. If all of that makes no change whatsoever, I’d fit another condenser and last chance is the coil. Every time I change anything like condenser or coil etc, I keep the original if it was still working and bag it and tag it as old ,,,,, but working and a date. Really helps when trying to find horrible littl issues like this. Try also having a look in the dark as you may spot something arcing that you’re not seeing in the daylight. Checking the dizzy is advancing is a great shout ^^^ from Mr Wig.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Interesting one. :)

If there is a fuel cut off solenoid on the carb make sure connection is good. An intermittent fault on sov will do that. just looked at video and that does sound like an intermittent electrical connection cutting the engine completely. Check the rotor centre connection to plugs and leads and lead from coil to the cap are good. It does not seem to be off a cylinder so rule out the leads to the plugs for now and look for electrical/ign input fault. As advised by others check all your connections and the black wire to the coil that comes from your ignition key. Could that be faulty? Check your earth strap too.

Last edited:
If there is a fuel cut off solenoid on the carb make sure connection is good. An intermittent fault on sov will do that. just looked at video and that does sound like an intermittent electrical connection cutting the engine completely. Check the rotor centre connection to plugs and leads and lead from coil to the cap are good. It does not seem to be off a cylinder so rule out the leads to the plugs for now and look for electrical/ign input fault. As advised by others check all your connections and the black wire to the coil that comes from your ignition key. Could that be faulty? Check your earth strap too.
That’s how I heard it too, I was thinking more of the coil lead or King lead as some call it. Based mainly on what you’re saying in that it seems the motor completely cuts out momentarily.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,Let’s just hope it’s an easy one. :)

Just had a thought from my memory of bodging things donkeys years ago. Where your coil is powered , run a fresh wire with two crocodile clips straight from the battery and that will determine if it’s in the circuit up to and including the ignition switch.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, ice easy one :)

Just had a thought from my memory of bodging things donkeys years ago. Where your coil is powered , run a fresh wire with two crocodile clips straight from the battery and that will determine if it’s in the circuit up to and including the ignition switch.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, ice easy one :)

As Ossiedog says, that’s a good trick to completely bypass the ignition switch ect., and you know you’re getting power straight to the coil…..just remember not to leave it connected too long without it running or you can cook the coil.

Latest posts