Engine/Pushrod Tube Question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkC68

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've got a couple of questions to ask...(dont normally post as searching thoroughly helps me out).

First off, do the pushrod tubes have to be fitted in a certain manner - on ours the seams are fitted in what looks like random. Am I correct in saying all of the tubes should have seams that point to the "12 oclock" orientation when looking from above onto them. None appear to have any sense of fitting order to them.

Secondly, how do I determine the engine type (it a twinport) but the engine number starts as AB..... (read from the front near the alternator) whereas I looked under the LH cylinder bank last night and below the pushrod tubes it has "AS41" cast on the block along with what looks to read 113-xxx-xxx...I understand the 113 (if read correctly) but which is the right enginecode?

Many thanks,
Mark

AS41 refers to the type of crankcase.

ABxxxxxx is the engine code, and denotes a 1300 twinport engine ('70 to '73) when it came from the factory.

Chances are that it is no longer a 1300 ;)

pushrod tubes....personal ive allways just made sure they are the correct lengh when fitting up.I suppose it would be the right way to 'Dress' the engine but cant see what difference it would make with the running of the engine.

Are there any stamps or markings on the top of the case...like a date stamp..if so this means that its a rebuilt unit.

You could just take of a head a measure the boore size...if it is a 1300 the the cylinder will be smaller

Its a dress up thing really theres no mechanical advantage just anal....

as has been said the AS41 basically refers to metal construction and in particular the magnessium content see

http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?name=Technical%20Information&cPath=2984" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if its still a 1300 you'll know fella as to drive will be woefully underpowered (even for a stock bus) otherwise leave it as is unless you have probs and just do the timing, carb etc.....

Araon said:
Its a dress up thing really theres no mechanical advantage just anal....

as has been said the AS41 basically refers to metal construction and in particular the magnessium content see

http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?name=Technical%20Information&cPath=2984" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if its still a 1300 you'll know fella as to drive will be woefully underpowered (even for a stock bus) otherwise leave it as is unless you have probs and just do the timing, carb etc.....

Thanks for the link Aaron, much appreciated! The AS41 describes the metallography in the casting material - the magnesium has worse fatigue poperties than the AS21 blocks (raw materials costs/availability I guess) but it makes sense to me!

So in all, do I have to worry about the pushrod tubes - I asked someone who seems to think they only fit a certain way (seam at the top) as a locating slot ensures correct fit....

The push rod tubes are round. There is no locator, just a seal at each end. I have fitted hundreds, I have never once lined one up & never will. The don't leak out of the join & never will.

Don't even think about them, they are cheap bits of tin designed to keep the oil in.

AB is 1300 as said above, 1600 parts are interchangeable, so has most likely had an upgrade.

Pete, thanks very much indeed for the reply, much appreciated! Worry over now, I do know the engine was uprated to 1600 by the Bus Stop in Leicester.

Anyway, cheers all for the replies, tvm!

Latest posts