Engine re-assembly Update

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angus

Reaction score
Haven't got a chance to add these pics to the website yet, so posting them here first!

For the previous stuff see http://www.mystuffonline.co.uk

Took 2 days off to go home and get going on the engine. I had taken it out of the van a year ago, and taken it apart to clean/check etc.

enginestart.jpg

I have taken the opportunity to re-paint everything - it was blue, but as I want to take the van itself back to its original colour (neptune blue I think....) I wanted get rid of the lighter blue colours, and back to something more traditional.

oldtin.jpg

However, the main reason for the painting is protection (rust etc) and a light colour makes it easier to work in the engine bay. For that reason I have used generic grey Smoothrite - gives a tough, thick finish, not worried about concors or anything, and previous coats have lasted well, including the heat exchangers...

engine1.jpg

Haven't done this for a while, but the joy is how simple it all is!
Having seen the quality of new replacement bits, I have tried to use my original tinware where I can - cleaned up it was actually ok - just got to make up a few tabs and patches...

engine2.jpg

Couldn't find a picture anywhere to show which way round the metal gasket under the oil filler/alternator pedestal goes - I've seen it somewhere...had to guess!

engine3a.jpg

Main thing was remembering the order of assembly! Like not fixing the fan housing down, with the pedestal in position, and then bringing the alternator and fan assembly down - you can't reach the lower fixing screws!

engine4.jpg

Standard exhaust will do for now - main reason for putting this back in is that I need to move the van - it will be a lot easier if I can motor onto a trailer! There are some things I shall come back to later on - for a start, I need some nice new clean rocker covers!

engine6.jpg

So this morning it was time for the engine to go back in the van - trolley jack and blocks at the ready - went in reasonably ok - new engine mount rubbers were a pain as I thought they went in after the engine was in position - it would have been easier to loosely fix them to the engine beam first, but we got there in the end. I only had until about 3pm today.

engine7.jpg

engine8.jpg

Lined up the clutch by eye, but it seemed to go onto the splines ok - in the end!

engine9.jpg

I desperately wanted to try and start her up (first time in 5-6 years!) but time ran out - I connected all the wires and leads up, took the battery out of the ZTT and she did turn over - result!! No firing though, but I had no time to try anything - thats the next job. Still, it was a result to get it in, bearing in mind that I started Monday lunchtime with a pile of rusty bits!

engine10.jpg

:)

Forgot to add - I am going to 'detail' some engine bits, such as the main pulley, coil, vacuum thingy etc etc (things that were blue) with a darker grey, but couldn't get hold of anything in time today. I'll also do the whole engine bay in that lighter grey Smoothrite - as I say, main thing is protection, but it looks ok aswell.

(Pulley/fan belt not adjusted yet!)

Doing a cracking job by the looks of things................ 8)

What time scales have you set your self now for the engine :?:

:oops: - knew I'd guess wrong - lokking at it I guess the way I have it may encourage oil splashing from the crank to go into the pedestal - but I'm sure it won't be that big a deal.

Timescale is...difficult. The van is 140 miles away at my parents place, which is a pain, and I need to move it somewhere else (hopefully closer) - really want to get her started soon, but it depends on other weekend commitments and ££ !

Looking good there.Have you still got the early gearbox in there? Your clutch looks different to mine,I've got the three lever type one in mine.

I've never touched the gearbox so assuming its original - I don't think it matters which clutch one has - the 3-lever type is earlier (according to the Haynes manual, which shows both types.)- I can't remember but I may have replaced the clutch at some point - this would be the type sold now I think....

I think both types of clutch are still sold, but if you want to fit a later one you need to change the clutch release lever (i think thats what its called - its the thing that hold the release bearing)so a later release bearing fits and also need to fit a collar. Whether the clutch plate has 3 levers or fingers the important bit is the collar in the middle must match the release bearing/collar used.
Does that make sense?

The number of fingers isn't the thing that makes the difference, but the central support ring.

Later cars don't have the central support ring, which is what makes them incompatible.

looks good and thats a cracking blog /hats off

book marking it for reference 8)

VWAIRCOOLED said:
Looking good there.Have you still got the early gearbox in there? Your clutch looks different to mine,I've got the three lever type one in mine.

Is the early gearbox different to the late ones for some reason?

Ta for the info on clutch design :)

Yep - a 68, so no firewall, although I have often thought about trying to get one...one of the potential biggish jobs left on the van is that there is quite a lot of rust under the fuel tank - I think I am going to have to take it out and repair/patch the 'floor' as it looks like it has some rather big holes... :cry:

I put a firewall in my '68 a couple of weeks ago. Just remember to get an early firewall because the early ones are flat on the bottom, but the late ones are more rounded and won't fit. Think I paid about £30 for mine.

boatbuilder said:
VWAIRCOOLED said:

Is the early gearbox different to the late ones for some reason?

The way the clutch release bearing fits on is diferent,the earlier type clips onto the release lever (which is different to later ones) and has no central support shaft.The later gearboxes have a release bearing that slides on a support shaft and then clips onto the release lever.So you can't mix early and late clutches.

I didn't know that you could fit a support turret to the early boxes and fit a later release lever,you always learn all the time!

Latest posts