Loose fuel inlet (lucky escape)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob8624

Reaction score
Hi folks, had a very lucky escape whilst doing 60mph on a motorway, van running sweet but suddenly smelled petrol and immediately pulled over to the hard shoulder just as the van died. Opened the back carefully (no smoke and greeted with petrol all over the engine because the fuel line had come away from the top of the carb and was pissing fuel everywhere.

After closer inspection I noticed the fuel inlet brass pipe thing had come out from the carb and was still inside the fuel line. I removed it and reinstalled it back into the carb but it was still loose, so I had to tap it back in. I had to wind out the volume control screw to get it idling nicely, but got back home all OK.

Anyway.....how the hell does this just come out? Is tapping it back in OK? I've tried pulling it back out and it's going nowhere but pretty paranoid about this! I always check the clips of the fuel line are good but never thought the actual thing the tighten against could come out.

Once it’s done it I’m guessing it’s only a matter of time when it gets warmer in the noisey cupboard before it dies it again. How are they held in, I’m thinking it’s just a friction fit with one hot and one cold but it’s moved now so maybe a clean up and some kind of adhesive. I’ll have a look around because I know this came up somewhere else, I’ll try and find out where.

Ozziedog,,,,,,, I’ll ask about. :)

Yea, I read somewhere to use locktite on it. Thing is, I can't get it out now after tapping it back in, i'm pretty confident that it's not coming back out but deffo something to keep an eye on and to warn folk it can happen!

Hi folks, had a very lucky escape whilst doing 60mph on a motorway, van running sweet but suddenly smelled petrol and immediately pulled over to the hard shoulder just as the van died. Opened the back carefully (no smoke and greeted with petrol all over the engine because the fuel line had come away from the top of the carb and was pissing fuel everywhere.

After closer inspection I noticed the fuel inlet brass pipe thing had come out from the carb and was still inside the fuel line. I removed it and reinstalled it back into the carb but it was still loose, so I had to tap it back in. I had to wind out the volume control screw to get it idling nicely, but got back home all OK.

Anyway.....how the hell does this just come out? Is tapping it back in OK? I've tried pulling it back out and it's going nowhere but pretty paranoid about this! I always check the clips of the fuel line are good but never thought the actual thing the tighten against could come out.
You could wire the fuel hose clip next the carb to something near and solid.

Having had a decent chat about, most peeps are saying it’ll be ok if it’s the first time as they are usually not just an interference fit but slightly conical as well. If you gets another chance or if you ever feel it slightly loose the answer all around was to give it a good clean up with rubbing alcohol (meths) posibbly a little roughing then some more cleaning then some loctite and definitely give it a decent tap in with a hammer and block then you’re as good as it ever was.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, like Gaz’s idea above then it stays in the same postcode :)

Yes, I’ve heard about this, and when I rebuilt a solex the brass inlet was indeed easy to remove, so I wire mine. Pipe clamp to one of the float bowl screws

I had a refurbished solex carb couple years ago from a reputable supplier and had the exact same thing happen, sent it back and it was glued back in Loctite if I remember never had any more problems

I read somewhere that someone wired their carb inlet because of this issue. I was never aware that it was a problem and it took me a couple of hours. A small fix to save your pride and joy!
Not being picky but I'd be more concerned about your braided fuel lines and the fact you've used a jubilee rather than a fuel hose clip, braided lines hide perished fuel lines and jubilee clips squash rather than clamp evenly around the hose.

Would you recommend the spring clips or the ones with a screw?
Proper screw style fuel hose clips that keep a circular shape when tightened and unbraided ethanol resistant fuel hose.

Latest posts