Engine Recommendations

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a 1641 from vw heritage last aug, returned it without it ever running, seized solid, then fitted another 1641 as a replacement from vw heritage this one failed within 30miles.
both were fitted by my local vw shop "wagenhaus"

wagenhaus then built from scratch an engine to our agreed spec 1776, much better route. we found out when looking for engines, vw heritage claim engines are run post built not the case with one of mine, neither tes or air speed will test an engine post build. so it is a real minefield. thats why i got mine built indenpendly with 100% new parts.

Lyell @ wagenhaus did a great job for me

Also contacted Laurie Pettitt...with what I can find out he seems a bit of a legend!!

I'm not sure about all the details, but looks like I can save a considerable amount of money into the bargin. Looks like I've got a shortlist of one now :D.

Might have enough money for some wheels!!

Hi Baldrick, are you saying Laurie Petitt is less expensive than the others suggested? Keep us all posted as in time i am looking to do the same thing.

Cheers Al

matt-me said:
Hi Baldrick, are you saying Laurie Petitt is less expensive than the others suggested? Keep us all posted as in time i am looking to do the same thing.

Cheers Al

No, its just a widely accepted fact that he is one of (if not the) best vw engine builder in the country.

LP - understands engines and budgets - he is awesome and also works on the basis that word of mouth keeps his very good business going.
you are in very good hands imho - I'm confident you won't get sold something you don't need - I always feel it's a very precise process with LP [not sure why?]
I have met the legend a few times and if I wasn't so tight he would have been top of my list [along with JM!]

:msn4:

I spoke with Laurie last night and he's a realy nice and helpful guy. He didn't confuse me with technical terms and asked me a number of questions before making any recommendations.

He also gave me a number of cost options if I needed to save a bit of money at any point. I'm fortunate to have a bit of a budget and so will end up with a pretty much new engine.

This is not going to come cheap...but some of the other suppliers are even more expensive. If the engine is half as good as people say then it will still be value for money.

Many thanks to all who have helped, I really do appreciate the suggestions to speak to Laurie, I feel in good hands.

Baldrick said:
I spoke with Laurie last night and he's a realy nice and helpful guy. He didn't confuse me with technical terms and asked me a number of questions before making any recommendations.

He also gave me a number of cost options if I needed to save a bit of money at any point. I'm fortunate to have a bit of a budget and so will end up with a pretty much new engine.

This is not going to come cheap...but some of the other suppliers are even more expensive. If the engine is half as good as people say then it will still be value for money.

Many thanks to all who have helped, I really do appreciate the suggestions to speak to Laurie, I feel in good hands.

There's nothing better than having confidence in the people working on your stuff, no matter what it is. All you can hope is that they have the same if not more regard for the job your paying them to do, to a standard you'll be happy with. Glad you found a suitable and clearly very capable bloke in LP to give you what you need. Keep us posted with your happy new engine...

New to this Bus malarkey but a new engine/rebuild might be on the cards in the future

Tried to have a look on the airspeed website but its down, anyone know why.

How much is a LP engine and what's he doing about collection/delivery

Baz

welcome to EB 8)

it will depend on what you want - ie all new parts - some of your old parts used? performance bits? twin carbs? element of future proofing?

it's not the answer you wanted BUT the best bet is to ring LP or JMR - both scotland both very good, although I would say JMR tends to be more on the performance side [although I'm also sure he builds stock too!]

it also depends on your realistic budget and what you ultimately want from a bus engine......

D

its all about the right questions. Speak to the builder of your choice and tell them what you would like to get out of the new engine.

For my bus i have a 1600 VEGE engine with twin 34icts, got the bits from CB in the states and all set up by Jason @ Interpro. This was years ago and still running as smooth as the day it was built.

Check the engine & bus out on the CB performance site ;)
http://www.cbperformance.com/customerrides/CRtype2.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the notch, I got all the bits from JMR and then Jason from Interpro built the engine for me. 1776 with twin 40idfs on a type 3 engine 8) I have been running it for a year now and its still as sweet as it was from when it was first built, in fact its even better as its been run in.

I seriously cannot speak of them highly enough.

Jason has also built and tuned engines for Volksworld winning buses in the past 8) and has one awards across other areas various rally teams etc

Every engine they have built has been spot on. Jason at the moment is rebuilding a Raceshack built engine that didnt even run properly when they had finished it! sounds sweet as hell now tho ;)

Apparently Laurie has finished my engine...just tryiing to sort out the fitting. Could be Friday :D.

Now confirmed for Friday...pics to follow...

man, that seems quick. Keep us posted on feedback Andy and maybe arrange to meet up some time soon.

Al

If you are considering Airspeed UK for an engine might be worth checking out the buyer seller feed back on VZi HERE

Hi, you could try Scott at S.G.S in Curdridge hampshire,.......he's a top guy, really knows his stuff, and hes honest, i had another engine builder local to me insisting i needed a rebuild on my engine, and when i took it to Scott he took a look at it straightaway twiddled and tweaked about with it and had it running sweet in no time,(he didnt even want any money for doing it either?, had to force him to take some for some beers!) and said a rebuild wasn't needed at all, so give him a buzz and have a chat with him :D

here's his number 01489 896488

good luck with it all................kev

Latest posts