NOS 1600 Single Port (Type 126a) Engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seamus1982

Reaction score
For those interested and who may have seen my many noob questions over the past week or so, here is a my 1600 NOS engine fitted.

This is a NOS Type 126a Industrial engine, I bought a few weeks ago.
I sourced a NOS 90’s Bocar 30 Pict 1 carb and a genuine 205T Dizzy from the US to complement the engine.
Spent this week fitting the components and getting the engine fitted.
Started first time on the button and I was super stoked!

I did a heap of research on this engine (admittedly after buying it :eek: ) some say they don’t run right in bays, different Cam, less compression, only fit to run at constant RPM etc etc etc.

From my findings, the owners manual and spec’s from what I can tell, they are the same spec, compression etc and VW goes as far as to say the engines are constructionally identical to the automotive engine.
Cam wise, I found nothing to suggest they are any different, just the normal ‘I’ve heard’ rumours (refer back to the VW owners manual stating these are constructionally identical) and interestingly these are also used often in Snowtrac’s which don’t run at a set RPM.

Took my first drive today and it was epic, runs soo smooth. I see no power difference to the original 1600 that I had. It pulls nicely and no flat spots. Just soo much smoother and seemingly quieter.

I only have a photo from last night when I finished. If interested I can take more.
I have a video but can’t upload.

Is this the same motor I was referring to about a couple of weeks ago somewhere?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, I think I said it would be fab and I wish I’d had it :mrgreen:

This is the one Ozziedog.

I was very nervous. Having blown a lot of cash on a complete whim without prior research, I started to question my decision.
I am glad I saw it through, thanks for your words at the time, it’s always good to have someone tell me I’m not completely mental!

Not only that ^^^ , but that may be the very very last one available. If there is another and either of us hear of it, please let me know and I’ll bid on it. I think it will go for more than yours maybe unless it’s kept hushed up somehow :mrgreen:
As a salesman from my past life, I’ll quote,
“Long after you’ve forgotten about the price, you’ll still be marvelling at this lovely smooth motor and it’s how it should really be “ , :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,you lucky thing. :mrgreen:

Latest posts