Engine shake / wobble (1641cc in a 1969)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thanks all in advance. Over the past week my 1969 Westy has developed significant engine wobble/shake (whatever you want to call it) and is quite loud. This esp. noticeable at idle, and mostly disappears once we are warmed up and running around. I would say, at the level of the exhaust, there is ~5-8cm up/down movement.

Any ideas of where to start? I have John Muir's KYVA and the Bentley manual and (maybe I am looking for the wrong thing) I can't seem to find the right problem/diagnostic.

My first thoughts are:
> Belt too slack/too tight (I made sure I had the right amount of play, right number of shims on each side, wobble continues)
> Blocked fuel filter/lines (I have changed these this week, runs happier, but doesn't get rid of the wobble)
> Loose bolt somewhere? (But where, who knows?)
> Something horrible in the fan
> Bad spark plug

Where do I start? I am not a mechanic and am happy to start learning, but the starting point is what I don't have.

Thanks
Pete

Have you checked the 4 bolts are tight that hold the engine to the gear box? Also the 2 engine mounts to the moustache bar?

Is it single of twin carb?

Dazza, #1 on my list when I get in from work. Quite how tight should they be (I'm assuming as tight as I can get them with a ratchet? Or tighter?

Twin carb.

Thanks
Pete

I do mine ft ... And my 14 year old does quite well with ft :lol:

Are the carbs balanced correctly? To me sounds like engine mounts or gear box bolts mounts

Where u based? Someone local might be able to offer assistance or point u in the direction of a known trusted mechanic

Thanks again. I will do some tightening and digging around when I get in.
From Wales, but moved to the US 4y ago for work. Unfortunately there is not a huge VW scene where I am (Maine), I do have a trusted mechanic who I will seek out if I can't get this fixed over the next couple of days.
Pete

Pete - I nicked one of Sparkys pics and have highlighted the areas to check with white arrows
Simple work for anyone, shouldnt need to check with a mechanic

Just check the tightness of the two moustache bar to chassis mounts (outer arrows) - I do mine up as tight as I can
Also the 3 moustache bar to engine bolts (inner arrows) - I tighten them up to a strong nip incase I thread the holes in the block

My first point would be the two chassis mounts - most likely points for vibration

Hey team
So I had a good play around last night and eliminated 75% of the wobble. Here is what I did:

> There was some tinware starting to rattle loose, tightened it up
> There was some twisting of the mount rubbers, untwisted
> Tightened all the moustache bolts etc
> Tightened the exhaust pipe mount/brackets (this made the most amount of difference)

What I did find is that one of my central 3 moustache bolts was missing. Who knows what sized that is and I will find a replacement?

Thanks
Pete

There are 3 holes, 1, 2, and 3 left to right. 1 and 3 are along the same plane, 2 is the middle one.

#1 is M10 x 1.5 x 70 stud Hole into case is 22mm deep
#2 is M8 x 1.25 x 55 stud Hole into case is 28mm deep
#3 is M10 x 1.5 x 70 stud Hole into case is 28mm deep

No1 & 3 = http://www.justkampers.com/m10-x-70mm-1-5-pitch-10-9-strength-bolt-various-uses-upper-left-engine-bolt-pre-1975.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No2 = http://www.justkampers.com/m8-x-70mm-1-25-pitch-10-9-stregth-bolt-various-uses-including-t2-bay-1600cc-engine-brace-to-centre-mount.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Think this is correct! :D

Latest posts