engine stopped with grinding type noise,any ideas

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwvanman0

Reaction score
hi all,

on my way to le mans last thursday in my crewcab (its got a 1641 with twin 36s) when without warning while cruising around 60mph on the flat there was a grinding gear type noise,i shot on to the hard shoulder and arnt sure if i stopped the enine,but i think it cut out,

tried to restart,it turned over as normal but wouldnt fire,
didnt seem over hot,could hold dipstick ok,oil was full and there wasnt leaks or masses of oil about,
left it for a while to cool then,
spun it over a few times and dizzy was turning,
checked for spark,which there was,
rear two plugs were nice light brown and dry,(twas a bugger to get front ones out with twin 36 manifold)
took fuel pump off as there didnt seem to be much if any fuel coming through,plunger inside was going up and down when spinning engine over,
the fuel pump did seem ok when i pushed the inside there was suction,

was going to chuck some fuel down the carbs but the recovery arrived and carted us off to a garage,then a hire car arrived.

van is now making its way home,we were only 50 miles from le mans! and it may be up to 20 days so cant tinker.

my worry is the geary type grinding noise thought it was the transmission but when it wouldnt run its gotta be engine related,wasnt mega loud but it woke my mate who was sleeping inthe passenger seat!

any ideas as its puzzling me and i want to gather any bits i might need.

cheers,steve. ps thank god for euro breakdown cover.

cheers,

im kinda stumped it doesnt seem to make any sense,i can understand it cutting out but the noise was weird,whenever it returns home im gonna drop the oils and check them,chuck on a spare fuel pump and try that,if that fails well its engine out time.

and if its done for,well maybe its subaru time :) engine that is!

We had a similar experience a few months ago with the Notch (thankfully only in the garage), and it was a clutch bolt which had come loose and got ground up by the flywheel - just worth checking that too.

i was thinking clutch too ........i smashed mine up only done 6000 miles :shock:

Latest posts