Engines and interior help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hadders

Reaction score
Bit disparate ...

Taking the advice from people on here, have now got my engine reliable but decided I need more grunt. Have been discussing options with Absolute VW in Donington - I've seen positive reports about their welding and such like, has anyone used them for engine stuff, particularly a brand new one?

... And I want to refresh the interior - new foam / covering for r&r, all door cards and seats. Any recommendations? Deliliahs on here is one I guess.

Cheers for help

i dont know about the engine but try these got good quotes fro both not sure if db do R&R but ask the guy is very nice

http://www.dbcartrim.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.vwinterior.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers for the links - always good to get options

Not getting much in terms of feedback on Absolute VW, not sure if thats good or bad

I'm too much of a novice to comteplate building the engine myself - and i'd like to use it this year, which i guess i won't if i do it.

Does everyone just do all the mechanicl work themselves? do i just need to get my hands dirty? or are there better options for engine builders, somewhere in the East Midlands?

All guidance welcome

Cheers, Mark

You can check the website of Newton Commercial. I have their door cards and all the rest of the panels in biscuit.
http://www.newtoncomm.co.uk
Nice quality, good fit and very helpfull customer service if anything goes wrong.

I bought my seat upholstery from TMI via a reseller. Nice quality, good fit and looks like the original.

Foto-SJQGJ77C-D.jpg

Foto-E68XU8OL-D.jpg

Building an engine is not a matter of getting your hands dirty, you got to know what works and what doesn't. Can't help you with a builder though since I am not in the UK.

there are some guys on here that will be able to help with the engine. little bits you can do yourself, like valve settings trimming. Rob and Dave's page is a fountain of info or get a good book for the more difficult bits. it's a VW there built very simple so it's easier than it looks sometimes

I knew nothing about rebuilding aircooled engines when I did a 1776cc for my '67 bug around 10 years ago, but I got a book and went from there. Best book by far was How to Rebuild your Volkswagen Air-Cooled Engine http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/0895862255/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_top?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1 and combine that with something like a Haynes/Bentley manual and the internet forums you can't go far wrong.

Biggest lesson I learned was buy new and by the best. You'll end up regretting it all later if not.

Good luck!

Thanks for info chaps - I'd love to be able to do it myself, but realistically it will probably end up with a pile of bits in the summer when i really want to be out enjoying it. Ended up talking to Laurie Pettit and and have 'ordered' a new lump from him.

Might keep the old one and use that to play with - whilst I agree that these engines are simple, I still think i'd rather practice a bit when there's no pressure to get it finished

1776, twin 34s, standard cam - I want driveability and torque (more than I have now, anyway) over outright power, so it's all pretty conservative in the grand scheme of things. Ought to be enough for me to feel a difference tho

Hadders said:
Cheers for the links - always good to get options

Not getting much in terms of feedback on Absolute VW, not sure if thats good or bad

I'm too much of a novice to comteplate building the engine myself - and i'd like to use it this year, which i guess i won't if i do it.

Does everyone just do all the mechanicl work themselves? do i just need to get my hands dirty? or are there better options for engine builders, somewhere in the East Midlands?

All guidance welcome

Cheers, Mark

Hi - I managed to rebuild my stock engine into a 1641 with new heads, twin carbs, electric fuel pump and bugpack exhaust - along with all all new seals e.t.c. - was lucky in that didn't need to do anything beyond this or split the case,

It went something like, dropped it on the Saturday out the van, rebuilt it during the evenings and put it back in the next weekend

There's a thread here - didn't plan on doing it myself but bit the bullet! As mentioned, get the best parts for your budget, have a decent socket set and spanners, buy a bentley manual and away you go :) - there's a checklist of things to do whilst your engines out the van (certain seals you are best to replace, check flaps are working e.t.c. e.t.c.)

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33458&hilit=+1641

Just a word of warning. Never put a new uprated top end on an old engine. Chances are that you will destroy the bearings within a few months. Unless you know that the bottom end is relatively new, always split the case and renew the mains, big ends and camshaft bearings. And don't bother fitting 1641 barrels and pistons - the power increase is negligible but the engine will run hotter. If you want more grunt fit 1776 B & Ps.

Laurie builds excellent engines BTW!

Latest posts