New engine help needed!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob37

Reaction score
Hi all, new on here so firstly a big hello to you all!!!
In need of some help as im not sure which way to go with this.
The engine in my bay has gone bang so time to replace. I brought it over from the states about 3 years ago so didnt know any history of the motor at all. It was a standard 1600 with single carb which ran ok. Im after something with a bit more grunt. Budget isnt massive by any means so cant go to mad. Im thinking of going 1776 with twin carbs, potentially going to the engine shop or somewhere similar but not sure that off the shelf is the right thing or go to a decent engine builder and see what can be done within my budget and timescale. Just wondered if any of you guys knew the best way to go with it on past experience.

Thanks again and all input appreciated!!

Hi there and a big big hello straight back at you. The engine conundrum is an on going one with all of us I’m afraid, and I recently within the last few years forked out for a brand spanking new 1641 on the basis that new motors were gonna be getting rarer and rarer as the Brazilly factory had closed its doors on type 2s. I’ll just say that a Brazilly spec motor is not a patch on the original German off the shelf or original motors and I wouldn’t go near another one again, I’d sooner go down the Scooby route. As for stock type motors, the engine shop may be as good as any, but I personally haven’t had any dealings with them myself. If you want something built for you , then have a chat with Abel Atafonso motors and get some ideas as to what you want and he definitely knows his onions and I’ve only heard great things about his rebuilds, his advice and his motors.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,and welcome welcome and welcome to you ! :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

All depends on your budget, personally wouldn’t go to the Engine Shop, I’d find a decent engine builder and go from there. I’ve tried a few engines from 1600,1641,1776 and 1955, no need to tell you wot was the best ! It made me realise that you don’t need to crawl up hill anymore ! 1776 engine was better than stock but nothing like that 1955 stroker motor it was awesome ! I don’t need to go fast but I need to get uphill and for that you need torque, try and go for a stroker if you can afford it, you won’t regret it.

Welcome: defo have a talk with Able Atafonso he knows his stuff, he built our 1776 runs great, he is based in Wrexham North Wales, if you want his phone number just send me a PM

Cheers

ozziedog said:
If you want something built for you , then have a chat with Abel Atafonso motors and get some ideas as to what you want and he definitely knows his onions and I’ve only heard great things about his rebuilds, his advice and his motors.

vinvan said:
Welcome: defo have a talk with Able Atafonso he knows his stuff,

If you want to go to an engine builder, here is another vote for Abel, he oozes knowledge and is a really nice guy, he has helped me out on many occasions as I've been trying to build by own engine. :character0036:

Here is a link to his profile:
http://forum.earlybay.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=23592

Latest posts