ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ray

Reaction score
has any one had any dealings with neighbours contact there council over the noise of you restoration?
have been told i cant make any noise that may cause them any disturbance
is this right anyone had anything similar what advice can you give ?

I can not see a problem daytime but i am no expert. i would have thought there would be no prob unless you are working late, something i seem to remember from tv in past was that there is not a lot they can do unless you make unreasonable noise after about 11 pm.

have only worked between 10am and 4pm at weekends and the odd hour after work 5pm in the week

This isn't your council but gives some FAQ's on the subject

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateContent?CONTENT_ITEM_ID=32560&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=10438" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tony

yea i seen that page and many others just wondered if any one else has had anything like this
it not like the neighbour has even told me it is a problem first i knew was when the council came round

Take the neighbour some beer, or a pie etc, and chat the metter over with him. A friendly compromise is much better to attempt, even if hes started legally.
Show him your a decent chap.

If it goes to rats, then use the law.

I rent a workshop, one reason is not to turn my house/drive into the inevitable mess it would become! :lol:

Your local council HAS to follow up every complaint even if its bogus. Enforcing it is another thing. The watershed where i am is @ 10pm, but im in a private house so i dont know if there are different rules if your are renting or in council owned.

To enforce a noise pollution order (to get you into court) they have to prove you are above a certain dB level and that the noise is persistent.

If had the local council round because of an asshole alcoholic neighbour complaining about my dog keeping him awake at 3pm. The enforcement officer came round and my dog sat looking at him for 15 mins not a peep, meanwhile asshole neighbours dog and 4 other dogs in adjoining gardens were going ballistic. I had to bring him into the kitchen to hear what he was saying :lol:

If your doing a bit of hammering or grinding @ 7pm they wont be able to do anything to you. But you must show you are co-operating with council officials if they visit etc. ;) . If you show your neighbour out to be out of order they will soon leave you alone.

Johnny said:
Your local council HAS to follow up every complaint even if its bogus. Enforcing it is another thing. The watershed where i am is @ 10pm, but im in a private house so i dont know if there are different rules if your are renting or in council owned.

To enforce a noise pollution order (to get you into court) they have to prove you are above a certain dB level and that the noise is persistent.

If had the local council round because of an asshole alcoholic neighbour complaining about my dog keeping him awake at 3pm. The enforcement officer came round and my dog sat looking at him for 15 mins not a peep, meanwhile asshole neighbours dog and 4 other dogs in adjoining gardens were going ballistic. I had to bring him into the kitchen to hear what he was saying :lol:

If your doing a bit of hammering or grinding @ 7pm they wont be able to do anything to you. But you must show you are co-operating with council officials if they visit etc. ;) . If you show your neighbour out to be out of order they will soon leave you alone.
we do live in private house the guy next door just doesnt want me to make any noise at all
its not like its for ever

is it not possible to pop round and speak to neighbour and try to smooth out the problem with a beer or two ?

if after a couple of beers he's still giving you lip , buy us all a beer and we'll go talk to him :mrgreen:
catfight.gif

go tell him to do one and get a life ....the sad miserable git that he so obviously is
or give him something to moan about and snout the twat :lol: :lol:

If you're making a 'reasonable' amount of noise (not persistent, not excessively loud, not too early or late) then there's nothing they can do - ask your council to give the legislation to you in black and white terms; ask them when, where, and at what level you can make noise in pursuance of your hobby.
Don't be scared of the council.
Don't be scared of the council officials.
Don't be rude to the council officials.
Ask your neighbours (face to face) if they have objections to the noise you're making - keep it friendly and explain that you're trying to be considerate and that it won't be for ever.

If all that fails then your only option is to resort to petty name-calling and Chinese burns.

Best of luck.

;)

well we had the senior environmental health officer come round today and this is what the neighbour said

To whom this may concern

I would like to report a noisy neighbour at no 9 ***** close

He is constantly making a noise outside their house - drilling and sanding down

When i moved here .....the close was quiet and friendly

No 9 have recently bought a VW Camper van and this is when the noise has started

I am not prepared to put up with this constant noise

Weekends at 8.45am on a Sunday morning and more recently all Easter Bank holiday

I would like to know what our rights are and how we go about rectifiying this situation

It would be nice to sit out in the garden without listening to the racket he is making and not
have to turn the tv up to drown out the noise whilst inside my own house!!!!!

so the noise weeks before when we did the decking in the garden didnt bother them
the close would be quite when they moved in as it was a new build and they were the second people to move in we were the day after ( so before you buy a new house ask if next door likes campers and would mind you working on them )
and as for the 8.45 Sunday morning would that be the 9.30 one when his wife had the kitchen window open and music playing and he sleeps on the third floor away from my drive
and the bank holiday it was raining
as for the tv my living room is next to where i work and my partner say you cant really hear anything

so do you think they dont like campers or just me

so all i can do is log when i make the noise ive got my own db meter so i can see how loud it is try to make noise for a max of 2 hours and it needs to be no more than 10db louder than the noise in the room you are measuring in and as we live near the m1 that helps me a little

so i need to find the quietest sand on the market anyone got and ideas will be fun in the diy shops ect take my db meter and see how loud they are

Latest posts