Essential Camper Kit

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkypumpkin

Reaction score
Just been wondering what sort of things I should put on the list of essential items to always carry round in the van should the unexpected or unforseen take place.

Heres a start:
Triangle
First Aid Kit
Oil
Dizzy Cap
Fuses
Petrol Can
Torch
Jump Leads
Brake Fluid
Bulbs
Tyre Weld
Tools????
Wheel Wedges
De Icer
Screen Wash
Wiperblade
fan belt/generator belt

what have I missed?

Richard.

set of points and loads of zip ties are essentials 8)

unless its really not viable to change the tyre on the side of the road I'd ditch the tyre weld its shit and a bitch to get off

Araon said:
unless its really not viable to change the tyre on the side of the road I'd ditch the tyre weld its shit and a bitch to get off
:lol: :lol:
So true!

Stick with the spare dood, either inside or on a roof rack ;)

I carry around a full dizzy, with new cap, rotor arm points etc, Already timed up with timing marks on it. So any ignition problems, just pull one out and fit this. Sane messing about at the side of a road. Alos carry spare coil and leads.

But then again cant go wrong having RAC membership, credit card and mobile phone.

Strobe for timing engine.
Rotor arm, cap, leads, points, condenser, and coil.
Feeler gauges to set points and valves.
Carb cleaner and tools to strip carb.
Spare fuel pump, and some hose and clamps.
Throttle cable.
Some electrical cable 30amp and connectors
Fuses

If its not a flat tire, small electrical fault, or a fuel supply issue, then its probably not possible to fix it at the road side.

When we traveled aboard I used to take a spare dissy, carb, wheel bearings and regulator, I figured that if it was worse than any of these I would end up being recovered home.

noddy said:
Strobe for timing engine.
Rotor arm, cap, leads, points, condenser, and coil.
Feeler gauges to set points and valves.
Carb cleaner and tools to strip carb.
Spare fuel pump, and some hose and clamps.
Throttle cable.
Some electrical cable 30amp and connectors
Fuses

If its not a flat tire, small electrical fault, or a fuel supply issue, then its probably not possible to fix it at the road side.

When we traveled aboard I used to take a spare dissy, carb, wheel bearings and regulator, I figured that if it was worse than any of these I would end up being recovered home.

Oh that's a good one.....regulator I 'll add one of these to my spares

One of those cheap jump start packs, 30 quid or lot less, torch, jumpstart and 12v socket and compressor, charge back up via cig lighter or mains.

Godsend when you leave your headlights on........... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Water, coffee, long life milk so you can have a brew whilst waiting for recovery, and cider in the fridge if it's all gone to pot............ 8)

Spare rocker gaskets to save oil stinks in your heating
Piece of fuel pipe
As mentioned above, spare timed up dizzy ready to swap when you bollox the pertronix by leaving the ignition on (not done this yet)
Coil
Spare spark plug, just a good old one from your last service, easy to check spark problems then
Spare 5ltr oil
Fanbelt
Cheap tool sets, spare bits of wire and fuses etc
Throttle and clutch cable

I have all of this kicking about in mine, so we are covered for most eventualitys whenever we venture out.

Aside from flattening battery by leaving the headlights on, or radio on too long (must swap it to the leisure battery) I have never had a problem touch wood.
Take things you think you may need, if the worst happens the rac or aa are available - and hopefully if you have stuff you may need, you will never need it, sods law says if you dont have it, that's the bit you'll need! Aside from major problems, you'd be surprised what you can pack away.

Cheers!

Alistair

you can buy a cheap gasket set as a get you out of sh*t an get you home (or to help)
as for tools i have loads at home but i bought some cheap tool rolls to keep in the van plus hammer, chissle, screw drivers, multimeter etc saves you carting round all ya good stuff round
an as said make sure you keep summat in the van to keep you enertained while you wait for rescue

dont forget the top pully,i have seen mine and three others go this year
and Benyon had a few go on his trip ;)

Latest posts