Ethanol proof and ethanol resistant fuel hose

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkywig

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I changed the fuel pipes in the Type 3 engine bay I thought I would undertake an experiment to see if there was any "real world" difference between Cohline ethanol proof hose and a premium ethanol resistant hose. I used a tee piece and the fuel hose (blue text) to the left hand carb was ethanol proof and the fuel hose (yellow text) to the right hand carb was ethanol resistant. The two pieces of 8mm hose were equal lengths and ran the same route, and the clips were torqued as well.

After 15 months the results are in.....

Nothing to see

Some small cracks appearing around the hose clamp

Again, nothing visible on the ethanol proof hose

Much larger cracks appearing on the underside of the right hand hose

Bearing in mind that the car hasn't done many miles since the hoses were replaced, you can see that the ethanol resistant hose is anything but.
IMHO the Cohline fuel hose definitely worth the extra cost.

That is very interesting!

Thank you for sharing. That'll be the stuff I order when I'm ready to do that in a few months

Crikey, that is pretty scary after such a short period of time. Worrying that people might be mislead into thinking this is ok to fit and forget.

Out of interest, where was the yellow text hose from - is it marketed as a branded item of some description?

The last hose I purchased was from Advanced Fluid Solutions; I can’t recall the branding on the hose, but from the website the same product appears under the general ethanol proof hoses as it does under the Cohline specific section. I presume it is Cohline hose at around £15 per meter.

:cry:
If that's the condition of the exterior that doesn't even directly come into contact with the fuel, I wonder what the interior is like???...
Actually, no I don't wanna know. I'm gonna just buy a Cohline kit.

My cohline pipe is now in its 10th year I still check it twice a year and still not a crack in sight 🤞and I got a new length of pipe that I’ve had for 5 years still in its wrapper ready to replace the old stuff 😂😂😂😂

Jesus that’s scary can see how people would be confused when buying fuel lines aswell glad I’ve got the good stuff fitted on me bus cheers for sharing very interesting mate

I’ve used that kit before and it was fine. I have since bought the same fuel line, cohline 2240 5.5mm, from advance fluid solutions as I don’t need another kit, just some more fuel line.

I bought it from them directly, as I don’t trust the online market place shops. There’s too much other old fuel line out there which can get passed off as the genuine thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts