excessive play on steering & cracked dome shaped thing-Help!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisandmiche

Reaction score
Not being particularly mechanically minded - please could somebody identify the problem from the description below.

Bus hasn't been used for 3 months, due to respray. Although I've driven it for the last few days leading up to the incident.

Today I noticed excessive play on steering. It was not very responsive and the turning circle was larger than normal.

I looked underneath and there is a cracked / severed dome shaped metal thing, half way along the front axle. It doesn't look promising!

Could anybody tell me what this is and what repair is required. Can this be done on my drive by a mobile mechanic or does it need to be towed to a garage to go on a ramp etc.

Thanks - forum people - for your help (again)!!

Chris

Sounds like your drop arm pin. If the casing is broken around it I guess it would need a new beam? Dunno if it's repairable

Pic might help if you have one

This is the pin and repair kit:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Drop-arm-repair-kit-68-79_act_shop.product_pID_101716_lang_EN_country_GB.htm?crumbPageToLoad=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

has it got adjuster fitted to beam cos if so the idler will have been cut off and re welded back on ,sounds like poor welding as have never seen a factory beam crack.

Latest posts