Exhausting

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMMC

Reaction score
Hi - I'm looking at exhaust options but I need some help understanding the terms...

What is the difference between a glass pack exhaust and a quiet pack exhaust? Also has anybody heard of a brand called thunderbird as sold by Status VW? I have a 1600 engine with twin CB performance webers...

As well as working well with the carbs I'd really like a deep throaty sound...not offensive but just right!

I'll be following this with interest so let us know which way you go in the end. I currently have a Monza 4-tip which I am changing to stock for now but want something to suit requirements similar to yours!

There the same thing essentially, the exhaust gas passes straight through the center of the muffler. Packed fiberglass surrounds the exhaust channel and absorbs some of the high-frequency sound.

generally speaking a single will produce a little less back pressure and aid in the scavenging of the exhaust gasses from the other chambers (mostly performed by the header) thereby slightly more power or at least a better response curve (this may only be very small and really only noticeable on a dyno).

as too the tone well thats reliant on so many issues, quality of steel / build, holes in the baffle and the packing material amount / density plus the anchoring to the bus.the header used and the condition of your engine as they are all different the harmonics produced will give a different tone and its supprising just how much of a difference it will make....

quality stainless steel, merged header, the less material/bigger the box the deeper the sound (look at the saxo chavs dragging a dustbin beneath there cars) or if you wish relate it to a bass guitar or bass box.

custom builts will cost the earth but you can get removeable/tuneable baffles off the shelf then your trading aspects of price, performance, sound yadah yadah yadah.......

I bought a Thunderbird header for my type 4, it totally rusted out within a year so I'd put them on the same crap-heap as "Empi" headers & mufflers

The quiet pack is much quieter than the glass pack, if you don't want a rusty exhaust buy it once in Stainless Steel (juste have my new A1 sidewinder made in SS by A1 mufflers, expensive but bought once), in UK, you cans go with allSpeedshop or TurboThomas stainless steel exhausts.

Thanks chaps - this is some really useful information here. I'd still like to stick this exhaust on but from the web page it says buses from 63 - 67...so I don't know whether it would fit? Also do ceramic coated exhaust last longer? Also if you read the Samba (yes I know) people say that exhaust pipes pointing to the back pull fumes into the van because of the air vortex's!

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D55%2D3417" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The vortex issue is pertinent to all cars, ensure you drive with the tailgate shut/good seals, plus your driving a bus and the tailgate is quite high in relation to the exhaust.

Ceramic should prolong the life

dont believe this will fit as it requires the cut outs which you dont have

Araon said:
Ceramic should prolong the life

Only in California :lol:

My old bugpack street max header after ~ 1 year of daily driving :roll:

dyn008_original_640_480_jpeg_2633228_a813ac5696f74a0d8f0ea2173a76bd0c.jpg

dyn008_original_640_480_jpeg_2633228_dd33dd09157bf06288951236abcbe2e6.jpg

:|

kombiporsche said:
The quiet pack is much quieter than the glass pack, if you don't want a rusty exhaust buy it once in Stainless Steel (juste have my new A1 sidewinder made in SS by A1 mufflers, expensive but bought once), in UK, you cans go with allSpeedshop or TurboThomas stainless steel exhausts.

TT pipe, sounds nice, without being offensive and cheaper than others

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Latest posts