Ferry Booking - Car or Motorhome?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tjdixon

Reaction score
Just looking to book a ferry from Harwich to Holland - do I book as a car or a motorhome? Thoughts please...

I'm sure I have read that most book as a car/mpv/4x4...

Tjdixon said:
Just looking to book a ferry from Harwich to Holland - do I book as a car or a motorhome? Thoughts please...

How much are you looking at for that crossing? Trying to work out the cheapest route.

Supertramp said:
Tjdixon said:

How much are you looking at for that crossing? Trying to work out the cheapest route.

£123 for a night crossing which includes a 2 berth cabin through the caravan club - I think its £135 without C.C membership.

Its probably not the cheapest route across but its our closest port and heads us in the direction we need to go... any additional cost is made up in fuel saving..

ETA - We are only booking an outward trip as we have no idea when / which route we will be heading back..

gas1man said:
Check out "Travel to France" on the camping thread.
Damn you guys are quick. :lol:

J & P
:D :D :D

Thanks, just found it, thats probably where I had read it previously.

I booked mine as a car, but mine is under the 6ft height restriction for 'car' (on the ferry we used) anyway :)

Booked as a car every time. ...had no issues as yet, then again I am as low if not lower than your average 4x4

--------------------------------------Own a Bay?....... Feel the love!

Yep as a car on both the chunnel and the ferry - never had any issues, although wont be using the ferry again as the tunnel is so fast!

Going Dover-Calais I put motorhome,after you put in the dimensions it makes no difference to the price,they just know where to load you on the boat if space and time is tight.

We have an 9m motorhome as well as the bus and pay the same for both whatever we put in. Usually just over the £100 mark

I always wonder on the chunnel what you do about on board cooking gaz, I've done the journey many times in a car, so no issue - but they do ask every time....

If you say "yes" what actually happens ?

Do you have to take empty cannisters across and refill on the far side ?

Hi - a man has to open cupboard/locker and make sure the gas is turned off - that's what happened with me - though I had to unload partially for him to check - I'd disconnect it rather than turn it off so they can see quickly that it's not connected

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I just showed him my B&Q gas bottle - it was on its own and not connected to anything - nothing more said

Although I believe LPG is a no no for the chunnel

When i booked the price went of size not type of vehicle so same price no matter.

Latest posts