Ferry- Car,van or motorhome?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bananacustard

Reaction score
So we're planning on taking the bus over to Brittany from Portsmouth in August and wondering what to book it in as, having noticed the crossing is considerably cheaper for a car. It's a mildly lowered tin top (4"?) and we may have a westy rack on it for our camping clutter. What do you regular european travellers do?

cheers, Jeremy

I usually go by the vehicle dimensions - e.g. <5m length and <2m height or e.g. <5m length and <1.83m height depending on ferry company booking system - logging in as vehicle type is harder - don't book in as a VW Transporter!! and of course "T2" does not appear in the drop down list for VW...

Rob

I go by the Chunnel so it may differ , but I phone up as there tends to be a better deal than on web page , and I book as a mpv because I have a microbus 8 seats ... An old mpv ;) 50 squid each way ;) :D
My mate had a splitty that said on microbus on his logbook but was obviously was a camper and he booked as mpv no problems either , we both have racks so try and avoid saying camper as the price goes up rapid :msn4:

Chris

Done a fair few crossings both with cars and caravans and I would definitely take Chris' advice and do the eurotunnel. Sooooo much better and quicker than the ferry. Plus you get to stay in your bus and make a cup of tea. The ferry is slow and a total circus. I'll be forking out the extra coin for the train from now on. Well worth it. :D

When you book on the tunnel put it as a car/car based van. Same price for both.

they usually go off height and length. used the ferry and tunnel about a dozen times, alsways entered as a car under 1.83m, never had a problem.

Cheers guys, all booked now. No way it was going to be less than 1.83 with a rack so it's booked in the next size bracket (2.6m high, 5m long) same as a large car/mpv etc.

Roll on summer 8).

Latest posts