Ferry to the Isle of wight and low busses????

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

61 stu

Reaction score
Anyone done it?

Meant to be going in a couple of months with the family and not sure if the Bus will get on the ferry fully loaded?

007-7.jpg

Ta :)

Having worked on many Ferries all i can say is it can depend on the state of the tide to how steep/shallow the appraoch angel is. Ive been over to the IoW with my bus and didnt have any trouble (Portsmouth crossing) but im not as low as you.
Just remember to do the side winder approach and you should be OK.

hmmm, cheers fella, unsure at the moment, would love to take the Bus but wondering if we should just take the missus's car to be sure.

we went last year and our bus is low.had no problems with the ferry but the roads are very very bad. to the point that it was hard to go over 30mph :evil: :evil: :evil:

earl thebay said:
we went last year and our bus is low.had no problems with the ferry but the roads are very very bad. to the point that it was hard to go over 30mph :evil: :evil: :evil:

hmmm hadn't even considered that :?

I took mine over there last summer.
Did`nt have any trouble getting on ferry.
Earl is right about roads , shocking state some of them :shock:
Cheers Paul.

Just got back from there today, had a brilliant time ( my bus isn't low though ). The road surfaces are truely appalling though, barely went over 30 mph for the entire week.

Well worth a visit but you'll need balls of steel in a slammed bus :D .

we're planning on a trip across the water in September not lowered so no problems ... most of the Island is 40mph? so only being able to do 30 not a prob!!

when you booked did you book as a motorhome? or something else?

Baz

earl thebay said:

Soooo true!

I took mine over last year for bestival. It got on the ferry with minimal scraps, the roads were by the worst i have ever seen! will not be taking the bus back for fear of smashing it up!on the pot holes :shock:

As a young ferry enthusiast I used to spend hours watching vehicles loading and unloading at the old slipway at The Camber, in Portsmouth. I saw many a coach mudflap (the full width ones) being torn off and then pulled out of the way by the docking crews. :shock: :lol:

Hopefully you won't have a problem, and certainly the modern linkspans used on all three routes should reduce the risk. :)

Danbury Doug said:
As a young ferry enthusiast I used to spend hours watching vehicles loading and unloading at the old slipway at The Camber, in Portsmouth. I saw many a coach mudflap (the full width ones) being torn off and then pulled out of the way by the docking crews. :shock: :lol:

Hopefully you won't have a problem, and certainly the modern linkspans used on all three routes should reduce the risk. :)

All to do with overhang and approach angle mate. The overhang on a VW is alot less front and back than a bus/coach so the approach/decent angle can be alot steeper. Trucks grind out the rear bumper on the trailers for the same reason.

Cheers for all your replies i might leave the van at home having heard the state of the roads, dont want to risk buggering the van up considering its my daily ;)

Ill leave the daily at home because the roads are to bumpy.....................now that just dosent make sence. What are your other daily roads like or do you go out in a non daily and plan a smooth route :roll:

clyde said:
All to do with overhang and approach angle mate. The overhang on a VW is alot less front and back than a bus/coach so the approach/decent angle can be alot steeper. Trucks grind out the rear bumper on the trailers for the same reason.
[/quote]

I realize that. Was just recalling memories brought on by the thread topic. :D

clyde said:
Ill leave the daily at home because the roads are to bumpy.....................now that just dosent make sence. What are your other daily roads like or do you go out in a non daily and plan a smooth route :roll:

ok :msn4:

Hi new to this site :D We see lots of lowered buses here think you will be ok, roads are bad just need to keep speed down and enjoy scenery ;) ours is not lowered yet but will be soon :)

curly head said:
sorry to hijack the thread but has anyone got any experience on the eurotunnel with a low bus? :oops:

Most of the vans that go to Ninove go via the Eurotunnel .... no real dramas. :)

For the record my Bus wouldnt have got on the ferry due to the ramps, both top and lower deck, plus some of the back roads were proper shoite, not just a little bit but alot, never experianced anything like it this side of the Solent.

Latest posts