FIRE SUPPRESSION SYSTEM - VW Aircooled Works Fireboy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VW Aircooled Works

Reaction score
I have just started a forum bulk buy special discount on our new clean agent gas engine bay fire suppression system. It has been posted under technical, so if you want to get a great deal and the best fire suppression agent on the market get yourselves over there.

regards
Peter
VW Aircooled Works

0_0.12_0_0.14_131_118_csupload_51238699_large.jpg

image of the system installed. Simple wiring of positive off the coil and negative from ground to pressure head. All cable to run to dash supplied. This is a robust system and engineered to precision standard, carries 3 year warranty and 10 life expectancy.

thanks

Hi, VW Aircooled works are the UK supplier of a new gas system that we have designed especially for vw campers. our website is http://www.vwaircooledworks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

benefits over the loop systems and the other DIY systems can be summarised as follows:

This CE approved automated system is temperature activated at 79°C. When activated the system releases a heptafluoropropane gas at 240 psi, through a 360o diffuser which will provide fire protection covering maximum area 0.71M3. (A typical engine bay is 0.35M3). This product is fully approved for use within occupied spaces because it suppresses the fire by chemical means rather than oxygen depletion. With the engine and electrics being located in the back of a camper van the possibility of a fire whilst driving is greatly increased. This system will react before you can be out of the van to manually extinguish the fire.

Gas is the most effective fire suppression medium on the market for vehicles. The major advantage is that no residue is left within the engine bay. Powder and foam extinguishers once activated leave harmful corrosive residue in the engine bay that must be removed prior to the engine being started again. With the Fireboy system once the gas has dispersed the engine can be run instantly without the need for cleaning.

As the primary function of the gas is to stop the reaction of the fire, there is no issue with the airflow coming from the air vents. The volume of air entering the 'sealed' engine bay is relatively small and the gas displaced will not be forced out of the engine bay by the air entering the vents. The gas is effective at low concentration levels (6%) so you are assured that the fire will be quenched rapidly to minimize damage to the engine bay.

This fully automated heat activated system has four main effects upon discharge.
• The gas automatically extinguishes the fire
• Rapid cooling effect which prevents the fire reigniting once the engine bay lid is opened.
• If a manual fuel pump is present the gas automatically stalls the engine so preventing further fuel being pumped into the engine bay. If an electronic fuel pump is present the fire suppression dashboard sensor can be installed on the negative side of the switch, so when the system is activated the fuel pump is also cut off, even if the ignition is still on.
• The dashboard light will alert the driver that the fire extinguisher has gone off.

If anybody is interested in a group purchase happy to support as VWs are our passion and we want to ensure that the vans out there are protected to the best possible level. Other systems risk luring people into a false sense of security.

regards
Peter Shaw

Devon
Hi guys,

Decided to take a trip up to VW Aircooled Works to check out the Fireboy system. Went on Friday afternoon and met Peter who briefed me how the system works. I was surprised how small the system is, cyclinder is approximately 6.5" x 3" in diameter as you can see in the pictures.

Came away with a system for myself and one for my friend. Peter is a nice guy to deal with and also makes a great cup of Coffee! He took the time to talk through the system.

In the back of my cross over Bay I have the panels above the engine with the holes in but my plan is to put four studs from these panels so I can mount my extinguisher on to a sub plate which I can then attach to the four studs. This will hang approximately 30mm down from the plates with holes in allowing me to rotate the head of the extinguisher to get the angle I think I'll require. Obviously all the buses will be different as some have the panels and some don't but with a bit of thought, not a problem to mount. I should be able to mount it with no wires showing which is what I like. Also the advantage of mounting it on the plate, it can be quickly removed should I need to work in the engine bay. I've already taken dimensions for this plate which I did this morning.

Once I've worked everything out properly I'll post up pictures of the installation as it goes along and all dimensions of what I've done in constructing the sub plate. Hope this will help a few of you who are thinking of buying the system.

I am very pleased with the unit, very robust and well made. Very clear instructions so shouldn't be any problems with the installation.

Regards,

Steve.

(Tried to cut and past this across from the other thread running in technical - but pictures did not link through - see technical fire suppression thread page 2)

Just to make things simpler and give you a better deal revised offering now with the in dash chrome LED as part of the std kit free of charge.

To make things simpler I would offer the forum a discount price of £175 for the complete kit that includes all fittings, cables and fuses, drill bit, brackets, fitting instructions and the standard 65mm diameter LED under dash mount display and SS bracket. We will also now include a quality Chrome in dash LED as part of the standard kit, if people prefer that to the under dash indicator.

In addition there is a deluxe audible alarm that is 52mm same as VDO gauges. The system with the deluxe alarm option is £240. This adds a bit extra styling but the standard 65mm gauge is more than serviceable.

All prices are UK delivered prices by UK Mail courier

Hi, Have a new batch of 20 units under pressure test at the moment. I have 3 orders that will be shipped out Wednesday to arrive Thursday.

Thank you to all for the great comments and I am pleased people are happy with our speed of supply and quality of what they are purchasing. The sun is shining today and we are only 2 weeks away from the brilliant Stanford Hall show. Looking forward to it come and say hello at our stand near the food area (i think, does little for the diet :D ) cheers Peter.

New batch of fire extinguishers have been released from pressure testing and are ready for despatch.

Sorry for the couple of days delay, the outstanding orders will all be shipped tomorrow.

Once again a big thank you for all the support and any questions or help just drop us a line

Kind Regards
Colleen
VW Aircooled Works

Thought it would be useful to add that this clean gas agent is stipulated under the NASCAR regulations and must be fitted in these vehicles. The gas is HFC227ea that is in our system and it made by the likes of Dupont, they refer to it as their product FM200.

I have attached a their fact sheet showing that this clean gas agent is part of the NASCAR regulations rather than foam or powder.

If its good enough for NASCAR then I need to say little else.

Hi

As the forum was down for a while and we are still getting enquiries on regular basis we will run the group offer until after Stonor Park.

We will be trading at Stonor, jointly with my wife so look out for the orange and black Cafe De Circe Gazebo and our yellow/white splittie.

Lots of people want to see it in the flesh before they buy so only fair to run it until after Stonor. Mention the forum and you will get forum price on the standard and deluxe systems. We also are show casing our carbon monoxide 12 Volt direct wired detectors and a snazzy solenoid cut off propane/butane/CNG gas detector, cuts of the gas if the sampler detects a leak.

look forward to seeing you, cheers
Peter

Been asked about the CO detector:

Thanks for the interest and yes these are a must have for any van with a heater or cooking facility.

The pictures show that this is a retro looking piece of kit, manufactured in the USA and a sophisticated micro processor. Here goes the technical bit.

The majority of the cheap systems out there only actuate at high concentrations and also are prone to giving nuisance alarms that are misleading and a pain. Carbon monoxide poisoning works by accumulating in the blood stream, and in effect killing you slowly!

The system will alarm instantly if levels of 10% COHb are detected, but also has a smart micro processor that accumulates the information and determines when an alarm level as been reached. For example at a very low level of 70ppm over 240 minutes the alarm will sound.

Mild CO poisoning is evident by slight headaches, nausea (non alcohol induced I may add) and flu like symptons.
Medium exposure is severe throbbing headache, drowsiness and fast heart beat. All way through to unconsciousness.

Whatever you buy please make sure that the system has these features, as many don't. Save a few quid but risk much more.

OK I have pitched the price as best I can considering this is a very tidy piece of USA manufactured kit,we usually retail this at £75. As a forum price purchased together with a Fireboy system would be UK Delivered £61.50 and if purchased separately will be £68.00.

regards
peter

New batch of systems on the way down to Stonor Park show this Sunday. We have a couple of systems being picked up and several people popping in to see it in the flesh. If you mention the forum when you come on the stand I will honour the price.

Have the standard system, deluxe system, Carbon Monoxide detectors and the gas leak solenoid cut off at the show.

cheers
Peter
VW Aircooled Works

Just a quick line to say we are now off to Bus Stopover and will be trading at the weekend. Look out for the yellow and white splittie next to the orange/black café de circe gazebo. Or the kids in front of the gazebo learning circus tricks.

Pop by and say hello and if you fancy buy a system, we take card payment, mention the forum and you get the forum price, don't be shy.

Remember VW Aircooled Works can also install the system at our workshop or your place of residence (subject to a fuel charge) if you are not confident in installing yourself.

cheers and safe journey to all that are coming to the show.

Peter
VW Aircooled Works

Hi,

we are trading at Whitenoise, SkegVegas and Busfest and would welcome anyone wanting to see the product in the flesh. Mention the forum and we will honour the price.

Also have a couple of new products being launched in time for Busfest and will put these on the forum as a special deal. Cracking products to further protect your pride and joy...... soon !!!

After a bit of panic we are now already for busfest. Hope to see lots of your over the weekend, we are trading in the Avon hall, so come and see our new safety products, including fuel tank solenoids, 25 year fuel line kits, extinguisher and lots more. Remember if you are after the forum price on the extinguisher please tell us when you collect your orders.
Lets hope this sun holds out and we have a cracking show.
Regards
Colleen
vw aircooled works

Hi,

with the big event looming (Volksworld show :compress: ) we have a small matter of Christmas in between. Looking for a present for yourself or a VWer. Why not go and look at our new web shop for some safety systems for vans. We are committed to bringing modern safety products to the VW scene for added safety and security.

We are pleased to offer a 10% discount on all items in the webshop

1. Fire Suppression System
2. Fuel cut off solenoid with in-line filter
3. Biofuel 25 year 100% ethanol resistant fuel line - 'fit and forget'
4. E10 fuel line kits with fuel clips and in line disposable filter
5. Battery isolator- nifty kit that is fitted in minutes to protect the van from electrical fires on standing up and also an anti-theft feature
6. CO detector - retro look and 12V direct wire not a battery unit.

If you email us in advance we will send you an invoice with the discount applied for BACS transfer.

In addition we are offering a special price for install of the Fire Suppression System at our new workshop if you bring your van over with our while you wait service.

While you wait fire suppression system install voucher - Valid for 6 months making it a brilliant Xmas pressie. Discount price for install with cable sheathing in engine bay £255.

The webshop is

http://www.vwaircooledworks.co.uk/VWACW---Shop.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any questions for information that you cant find on our website feel free to contact us through the forum or email on [email protected] or mobile 07521409178

All prices include shipping from stock.

Merry Christmas and thanks for all the kind words and support in 2013.

VW Aircooled Work

Well my vans having its fire suppression system fired by pete as we speak, I've been guided by the forum to get this system and as the tread states pete seems a really nice guy. I'll post up some pictures later of the system fitted.

Latest posts