Fire suppression system

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo4861

Reaction score
Hi
I been looking at fitting a fire supression system to my engine bay there seems to be two systems available one a tube which runs above the engine which when melted dispenses foam or powder, the other one is called fireboy this just uses a extinguisher which depenses a gas and is suitable for both fuel and electrics can anyone help with some advise

Jimbo

Hi.

First of all I've got to say that I'm no expert so the following is just my personal view.

I looked into this a little while ago and eventually decided to buy an extinguisher from Fire Protection Online. It's a 1kg gas one that, it is said, will automatically go off if the temperature reaches 80degrees C and is suitable for both fuel and electrics. It was just under £100 delivered.

I haven't installed it yet but it looks good quality. As with all of these things you don't know how good it is until it is needed!
I hope that this helps.

Just seen that this is covered in depth, 3 pages, on the Latebay website.

Hi,

I've got PC problems so can't send link but following should be enough. If not let me know.

It's in General Discussion, headed 'Engine Bay Fire Suppression System' last post yeaterday at 3:09pm.

I'm not surprised you didn't find it - I looked first in Technical and thought I'd lost the plot when I couldn't find it there.

Hope this is useful.

Chad

Ive gone with this.

http://www.fireprotectiononline.co.uk/1kg-automatic-fire-extinguisher.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ive got a 2kg powder extinguisher in the cab,so if the Automatic one if only slows it down,till i can get to the compartment myself to act as fireman. 8)

stalling a fire enough to get yourself and passengers out is most important........Any more,and it can burn to the ground.......its only a lump of metal.

Have you guys seen this current thread http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49396? It took three extinguishers to douse a pretty small but potentially bus destroying fire in the engine bay.

We see lots of accounts of fires in engine bays, and there is always a cry for everybody to install a Firetec system. I think the idea that it will do enough to buy some escape time is probably all we can hope for, as I have never seen an account of a Firetec or equivalent actually extinguishing a fire.

I carry two extinguishers in the cab, and have a JK GTP 1kg automatic bottle in the engine bay, cost me £46. I hope it is enough.

IMG_2889.jpg

IMG_2892.jpg

Id say it wouldnt be as effective as the ones with tube covering the area above the engine,but its certainly better than no extinguisher in there.

Hi, VW Aircooled works are the UK supplier of a new gas system that we have designed especially for vw campers. our website is http://www.vwaircooledworks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

benefits over the loop systems and the other DIY systems can be summarised as follows:

This CE approved automated system is temperature activated at 79°C. When activated the system releases a heptafluoropropane gas at 240 psi, through a 360o diffuser which will provide fire protection covering maximum area 0.71M3. (A typical engine bay is 0.35M3). This product is fully approved for use within occupied spaces because it suppresses the fire by chemical means rather than oxygen depletion. With the engine and electrics being located in the back of a camper van the possibility of a fire whilst driving is greatly increased. This system will react before you can be out of the van to manually extinguish the fire.

Gas is the most effective fire suppression medium on the market for vehicles. The major advantage is that no residue is left within the engine bay. Powder and foam extinguishers once activated leave harmful corrosive residue in the engine bay that must be removed prior to the engine being started again. With the Fireboy system once the gas has dispersed the engine can be run instantly without the need for cleaning.

As the primary function of the gas is to stop the reaction of the fire, there is no issue with the airflow coming from the air vents. The volume of air entering the 'sealed' engine bay is relatively small and the gas displaced will not be forced out of the engine bay by the air entering the vents. The gas is effective at low concentration levels (6%) so you are assured that the fire will be quenched rapidly to minimize damage to the engine bay.

This fully automated heat activated system has four main effects upon discharge.
• The gas automatically extinguishes the fire
• Rapid cooling effect which prevents the fire reigniting once the engine bay lid is opened.
• If a manual fuel pump is present the gas automatically stalls the engine so preventing further fuel being pumped into the engine bay. If an electronic fuel pump is present the fire suppression dashboard sensor can be installed on the negative side of the switch, so when the system is activated the fuel pump is also cut off, even if the ignition is still on.
• The dashboard light will alert the driver that the fire extinguisher has gone off.

If anybody is interested in a group purchase happy to support as VWs are our passion and we want to ensure that the vans out there are protected to the best possible level. Other systems risk luring people into a false sense of security.

regards
Peter Shaw

0_0.12_0_0.14_131_118_csupload_51238699_large.jpg

image of the system installed. Simple wiring of positive off the coil and negative from ground to pressure head. All cable to run to dash supplied. This is a robust system and engineered to precision standard, carries 3 year warranty and 10 life expectancy.

thanks

Peter
Looks good mate how much is your system ? Also if we could get a bulk purchase discount i am all for that.

Jimbo

Hi Jimbo

I have competitively priced the fire suppression system as part of the launch strategy.

The system including extinguisher, brackets fitting kit, dash mounted led and electrical fitting kit comes in at £198 including delivery. This is the full system and includes everything to install the system in any van.

We would be more than happy to pull together a group buy purchase and offer a discount for groups of 10 or 20 purchased.

The system being gas based offers many advantages over powder and foam. It sits nicely in the engine bay and is easy to install and is 100% effective on both electrical and petrol fires. The advantage of being able to wire in the electronic fuel pump gives added security and reassurance.

In terms of discount we could offer between 10 and 15% depending upon quantities purchased.

Options of an upgrade to a deluxe audio alarm are also available.

For the full details have a look at our website or if you have any questions send me an email.

Our next show will be Stanford hall, please pop in for a chat if your visiting the show.

Kind Regards
Vw Aircooled works.

Ok, to kick this off I feel that it will be no problem selling 20 units thru the forum, based on launch sales at Volksworld last month.

I would offer the early bay forum a discount price of £175 for the complete kit that includes all fittings, cables and fuses, drill bit, brackets, fitting instructions and the standard 65mm diameter LED under dash mount display and SS bracket.

We also offer a chrome LED that will fit into the dash if you have pre-existing holes and this fits into a 8mm hole. In addition there is a deluxe audible alarm that is 52mm same as VDO gauges. Discount prices on these would be £5.00 for the chrome LED and £65 for the deluxe alarm. These add a bit extra styling but the standard 65mm gauge is more than serviceable.

I would propose a process of running this post as a 'I commit to buy one' list and I will send payment details to each person via PM. As soon as payment is received I can post from stock. Let me know whether you want standard kit, chrome upgrade or deluxe upgrade.

regards
Peter
VW Aircooled Works

link to pics of the 3 options, sorry cant get them to drop into post;

http://s419.photobucket.com/user/vw92h/media/fire%20suppression%20vw%20aircooled/dashboardlight_zpsa768a921.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://s419.photobucket.com/user/vw92h/media/fire%20suppression%20vw%20aircooled/optionalsmalldashLED_zps963f0bdb.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://s419.photobucket.com/user/vw92h/media/fire%20suppression%20vw%20aircooled/deluxegaugecloseup_zps92dfa6af.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OK we have the list started, cheers Elliot

1. Elliot99

Will PM for address and email details to them send a pro-forma invoice for BACS transfer or can take paypal if GIFTED.

VW Aircooled Works said:
link to pics of the 3 options, sorry cant get them to drop into post;

dashboardlight_zpsa768a921.jpg

optionalsmalldashLED_zps963f0bdb.jpg

deluxegaugecloseup_zps92dfa6af.jpg

There you go, might be best to get this moved to the for sale area for better uptake

Hi, new owner here and don't actually have the van yet. All this talk of fires is slightly worrying, and given it's mainly for camping and using with the kids even more so. I think this set up sounds great, just wondered if you then would need to carry and additional 2kg extinguisher. Noticed you will also fit the system aswell, which might be handy for me.

Also it might be a stupid question, but what can you do to minimize the chances of this?

Hi

The system is designed specifically for engine bay fires, so once installed any fire that starts in the engine bay will be extinguished. This is where the vast majority of campervan fires start, and the system is designed to stop any fire before damage is done to your van or engine.

In regards to having an extra portable fire extinguisher in your van, It is a good idea to have just a small hand held extinguisher that is readily available or a fire blanket, especially if you are cooking in your van. You can pick up a little extinguisher for under £10. We always carry one in the front cab just in case.

In regards to an install, where are you based?

Good luck with the restoration
kind regards
colleen

Latest posts