fire suppression systems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dveedub

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted to get an idea on the general consensus with regard to the automatic fire suppression systems out there? Ie best type, brand (more specifically the fire trace ones) and if they are even necessary at all! I am restoring a bus and deliberating on whether or not to fit one at the moment.
I had a bus for many years before and simply had a fire extinguisher behind the drivers seat so as to be used in the event of an engine fire when driving or even a cooking fire when camping! Thankfully it was never needed but lately I have seen pictures of buses with their back ends burnt out that made me feel sick to my stomach! I also witnessed first hand many years ago a bug on the side of the road with a charred back end, a fire engine at the scene and a very unhappy looking owner talking to the fireman. It doesn't bear thinking about putting all this time, effort and money into this resto only for something like that to happen.
On the flip side of the previously mentioned though I will be using top quality fuel line and plan on keeping a check on these things regularly. Also I am curious to know whether these automatic systems can potentially go off accidentally and whether anyone has any stories of this occurring?

Your thoughts, opinions and any stories you have would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Dave.

After a lot of reading I haven't heard of an instance where one has gone off and put out a fire. They wouldn't be large enough to put out a persistent fire. I fitted a Firetec in the hope that it will give me extra time to get out. Replace fuel filler hose, fuel hoses and add a fuel cut off solenoid to prevent the worst.

I went down the route of a FireBoy system, fit and forget fuel pipe and a cut off solenoid via VW Aircooled Works.

Having had an engine fire in a bug many years ago, I take the route of covering all options.

FireTech for me.

I think there's some correlation between owners that maintain their fuel lines regularly and those that fit fire suppression systems, which might be why you might not have heard of one going off ;)

I have one fitted and wouldn't be without it for the peace of mind it offers:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC999E001/fire-extinguisher-daus-low-pressure-1kg-dry-powder-vertic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have 10% off today which makes a good saving on these.

+1 for the Fireboy system from VW Aircooled Works.

My kit included inert gas extinguisher (not powder) automatic fuel cut off solenoid if the extinguisher is triggered and dashboard warning/safety light to tell you when its armed or gone off. Easy enough to fit.

Anyone ever have one go off by accident?
I have 2 concerns personally:-

1. Having room to fit a system (prob could make room if i really had too)
2. My engine bay gets very hot (non-standard engine) and worry that the temps might trigger it.

maddog said:

2. My engine bay gets very hot (non-standard engine) and worry that the temps might trigger it.

1) serves you right for having all that cheating juice plumbing in the way ;) :lol:

2) it really wont happen, mine gets just as hot as yours does and it's never gone off. :mrgreen:

Alex VW Heritage said:
maddog said:

1) serves you right for having all that cheating juice plumbing in the way ;) :lol:

2) it really wont happen, mine gets just as hot as yours does and it's never gone off. :mrgreen:
:lol: have you told Jarvis this :lol:

Hi all,

Thank you for all of your input, it is much appreciated.

My mind is made up then I will definitely be investing in one of these!

Cheers

Dave.

Anyone considered the benefits of moving the battery out of the engine bay? Seems that most fires are due to electrical shorts in the vicinity of the carbies, gas fumes etc?

Humphrey said:
Anyone considered the benefits of moving the battery out of the engine bay? Seems that most fires are due to electrical shorts in the vicinity of the carbies, gas fumes etc?

Gotta admit, the one thing I miss about my T25 is being able to jump-start it from within, usually nobody could tell we were broken down :D

Anyone got any thoughts on one of those Chinese (I think Chinese anyway) AFO Fireball things? Thought it could possibly be a good stop-gap until I get a proper system installed but reluctant to take the leap in case it goes off when the engine bay is hot or something!

Just had a look at those AFO fireballs. They look like a good stop gap like you say. How much have you seen them for ? On eBay they are £22 and £15 posted. Would be good to hear if anyone has one.

Yeah I saw them on eBay too but had heard of them elsewhere, can't remember where to be honest (could be here?). Think they were about the same price when I looked.

Thought I had seen one on the forum installed before. Took me a day or so to remember but STUF has
one fitted on his bus , check out page 31 of his thread. I think it is an AFO Fireball.

J & P
:D :D :D

^^Thanks for that. I think I might go this route. Anyone heard good or bad stories about these.

^^^ Stuf has definitely got one fitted in his Bay. I know he has used them or seen them being used possibly in his profession or former profession and that`s why he has fitted one, he thinks they are very good, and I seem to remember that he wrote words to that effect in a thread earlier on this year. As with all fire suppression systems and extinguishers, they can only slow down a fire or put the fire out if the main fuel of the fire and / or the heat has been removed, so this is where the fuel shut off valves are really important but different if it`s a battery fire. Goes back to the same thing every time, prevention is so much better than cure. Fuel tank, pipes and venting , all the pipes and all the fittings from the fuel cap all the way through to the carbs, and have the battery out once a year or so for a little check and all the wiring to it and make sure it`s clamped down.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, There`s maybe a few more things :mrgreen:

Latest posts