First event - advice please....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dt100

Reaction score
Good evening all..... Ok, well my 1971 Devon is up for an MOT this week after 3 years of renovation....

My question is, where should I be focusing on in terms of festival / gathering.....

I bought my van as an engineering and renovation project (to save me from the tv soaps)....I've never really been into the VW scene, but would like to give it a blast..... I live in Newmarket, my wife has never camped before (facilities such as showers would be good) and I have 2 children aged 4 and 1. I really don't want to put my wife off further events, so where would people recommend for a young family, facilities...... but with a bit of life.....

Nice to be able to post in other than than the technical section..... though may well be back there after the mot on Wednesday!!!!

The Volksworld show this weekend is a good showcase event. If you fancy some racing then Big Bang is a lively weekend at Santa Pod in April. May 6th is the Stanford Hall show as is a superb camp over and day out to start you off. :)

Alive & Dubbin at Jimmys Farm in Suffolk isn't that far from you and has a real family feel and the added attraction of Jimmys Farm this year should help as well, from memory its the 8th -10th June.

Or as Clem has said Stanford Hall as a one day show isn't that far either, camping is basic but lots of space for kids to run around and the halls worth a visit if you get the time. If you search stanford hall VW in google it comes up with all the details, cheap camping and show as well

I would second Alive and Dubbing, also Whitenoise is good, lots of music, kids and food vendors and not too far from you!
If you fancy a bit further the would recomend Dubs at the Castle - great show :D

simo

I am in Clem's gang. Big Bang is my favourite at Santa Pod. Your kids will love the racing, the fun fair etc and there's a quiet camping area for families. Enjoy the VW experience, great people, great vehicles and great fun :D

Doh, Just noticed your youngest is 1! Maybe he/she won't find the drag racing and fun fair as much fun as I do :oops:

dt100 said:
Good evening all..... Ok, well my 1971 Devon is up for an MOT this week after 3 years of renovation....

My question is, where should I be focusing on in terms of festival / gathering.....

I bought my van as an engineering and renovation project (to save me from the tv soaps)....I've never really been into the VW scene, but would like to give it a blast..... I live in Newmarket, my wife has never camped before (facilities such as showers would be good) and I have 2 children aged 4 and 1. I really don't want to put my wife off further events, so where would people recommend for a young family, facilities...... but with a bit of life.....

Nice to be able to post in other than than the technical section..... though may well be back there after the mot on Wednesday!!!!

My guilty secret....the majority of camping I do is at Camping & caravanning club sites :oops: - I do more extreme camping but that's in a 1 man tent, for the family (3 kids under 8) I like the C&C sites as you get a good set size pitch, electric hookups, great facilities and some are in really nice locations - you are near to me (village north of cambridge) so I'd recommend their Sandringham site as you've got the whole north norfolk coast to explore (holkham beach is nice)

Planning on going to some events this year though, I like the piece and quiet of C&C sites but nothing beats a bargain at an auto-jumble ;) - will look at the suggestions above as they are convenient for me to attend!

The sadder truth is that with the kids, awning and associated bikes e.t.c. I usually take the bus and a car so closer = better

Good luck with the MOT this week.....
I'm literally just up the road from you so be good to see another bus around.
If my wife can manage the VW events, then trust me I'm sure your better half will love it (if not I find a bottle of wine always helps :lol: )

As Graham L said, Alive n Dubbin is cool and this year @ Jimmy's Farm and my 8yr old can't wait :D

Just about all our camping is at VW events but we have used a C&C site at Cromer. Have to say it was bloody brilliant!!!!
240v hook up, huge pitch, clubhouse with entertainment/food/drink, a lovely outdoor pool, top notch showers etc and just 5 mins downhill on the bikes to the obligatory crabbing on the pier. Fantastic weekend, need to do it again.
The VW shows mentioned are ideal, it's just the lack of showers at nearly every event in the UK that perhaps may be a stumbling point for your other half.
I'm sure if you give the VW shows a try, you will enjoy them, people are friendly, help and advice is at hand and the whole road trip/event is a great experience. I for one have made many friends all over the country through this network, particularly on Early Bay.com
Welcome and enjoy but be aware this scene can become adictive!!! :D

I tend to mix a handful of VW style events with general weekend escapes throughout the year. Met some really knowledgeable and friendly people at the VW events, Camperjam is a good family weekend, Stanford Hall is terrific for a wide range of VW's on show - although camping is basic it's good value. But as Clem says a lot going on at Volksworld this weekend and a good chance to say high to the EB members in the line up who I have always found more than happy to talk or even put the kettle on at times :lol:

Like others the C&C club has cheap membership and some terrific sites throughout the UK and a good on line booking service if you like planning ahaead and I mix these with other sites found via the Cool Camping series of guides.

But no matter where you park up, someone will come and talk to you about your bus .. with the MOT sorted its time to enjoy it and sometimes just the shortest trips from home provide the best escapes

Just enjoy :)

Latest posts