Fitting a new awning

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben72Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been planning to fit an awning to the side of my Bus for a while.
This is what I have come up with:
want something that is always there, otherwise you never have it when you actually want to use it!
plan to fit a figure of 8 strip along the red line - front may be attached to a roof rack.
IMG_8839.JPG

One challenge I can see is how to best fix the strip through the fibreglass pop top frame - ideally I'd like to be able to get to the back of the fibreglass and use big washers or a long metal strip on the inside to spread the load of the rivets or bolts fixing the strip. need to investigate of there are fixings already out there that are designed to spread load through fibreglass.

Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 12.25.13.png
Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 12.25.46.png

Anyone done similar?
have any advice to offer.

I know there are gutter brackets, but I'm aiming to keep the awning tucked tight to the pop top as I'm not a fan of the aesthetics of the gutter mounted set ups that sit proud and wide of the roof.

Thanks
Ben

I have the figure of 8 strip (needs refitting at some stage) that goes under the poptop which means cutting a hole in the top to allow it to close - could be an option?

When you say 'figure of 8 strip' do you actually mean awning rail?, figure of 8 is used to fasten an awning to the gutter on the van. We fitted an awning rail to the fibreglass on the hightop and we used a rail that came with adhesive on the back and small self tappers and its stayed on so far, if you can get to the back of the fibreglass you would need to use small countersink nuts and bolts as you need the awning to slide smoothly down the channel without catching the heads of the bolts and large penny washers on the inside.

You can just see the awning rail above the sliding door

80716F40-4A39-42C5-9A53-3F56C98969B8_1_201_a.jpeg

Here's one I did about a year ago, Fiamma wind out type.
Attached to the fibreglass top with the brackets supplied and big washers behind, on a Danbury Brazilian.
The gas struts won't hold the weight, but made 2 supports from Screwfix oval wardrobe rail and 4 rail hangers.
Works fine, make sure awning support legs are well pegged down in use.
Regards, John.Awning1.jpgAwning2.jpg

Here's one I did about a year ago, Fiamma wind out type.
Attached to the fibreglass top with the brackets supplied and big washers behind, on a Danbury Brazilian.
The gas struts won't hold the weight, but made 2 supports from Screwfix oval wardrobe rail and 4 rail hangers.
Works fine, make sure awning support legs are well pegged down in use.
Regards, John.View attachment 1420View attachment 1419
Hi John,
Thanks very much for the pics.
Do you have any from slightly further away so I can see how the size of the awning works with the scale of the bus?
What length awning did you go for?

Thanks again
Ben

Hello Ben,
This is a F45 230 (IE 2.3 metre)
If you look at fiamma website it will give you all the dimensions of the canopy range.
If the wind ever drops I'll take you a photo mine wound out!
Regards John

Latest posts