Fitting a stereo

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padwah

Reaction score
I want to fit a stereo to the van but I'm not sure whether I want to cut the dash to make the hole larger to fit a modern stereo, where's everyone else stuck theirs? I'd like it in the dash but I'm not sure if it's worth taking the dremel to it or not!

does anyone do a glovebox liner with fitting for a stereo? I've got a stereo frame/holder from Halfords but does anyone do anything a bit better?

I will make many people cry now......sorry Grazy. :mrgreen:

But....I would carefully file the 1mm all round needed to fit in the dash, if it is done carefully (read - NOT BUTCHERED) it is not noticeable andf you can reach your stereo when driving.

A few modern tweaks aren't too bad IMO......

interior03.jpg

:mrgreen:

faux said:
I will make many people cry now......sorry Grazy. :mrgreen:

But....I would carefully file the 1mm all round needed to fit in the dash, if it is done carefully (read - NOT BUTCHERED) it is not noticeable andf you can reach your stereo when driving.

A few modern tweaks aren't too bad IMO......

interior03.jpg

:mrgreen:

OMG someone get the petrol & logs - looks like we need to burn someone at the stake :lol:

i have a modern sterio fitted in the right hole and havent cut it at all.just fit the cage to the rear not thru the hole and some sterios(u will have to check wich ones)will fit fine then just pop the sterio in from the rear,it will sit in the thickness of the dash more than usuall,so the suround will not clip in but will need to be fitted with refix tape.

as for fitting the cage i made 2 brackets to hold it against the back of the dash that atached to the handbrake bolts

not sure if that will make any sense but it is one way around it

looks spot on and no dash hacking

This is my main job this weekend, was going to mount it under the dash some how but might try and fit it in the whole in the dash as it seems possible

Just trim the hole. Is it really that big a deal? It was designed to go there, it's just that along the way, the industry standard changed for the DIN size of the head unit. I have wired in ISO plugs, so it's easy to swap stereo's if you want too.

pete nice said:
Just trim the hole. Is it really that big a deal? It was designed to go there, it's just that along the way, the industry standard changed for the DIN size of the head unit. I have wired in ISO plugs, so it's easy to swap stereo's if you want too.

And this can be done with a file, rather then cutting it? To me it makes sense to have it there rather than trying to lean over all the time.

Mine is fitted in the dash, its a pain in the glove box, but does look neat :mrgreen:

If you have no intention to go old skool radio then cut the dash but make a good job of it theres so many dashs' out there that were mullered...

some folks just wont entertain the look of a modern radio in the cab others are a little more pragmatic or it fits with there look and practicality.....

Its a personal choice if it suits you do it

Had the same thoughts previously about hiding the stereo so it didn't stand out like a sore thumb so got a Sony "Active Black Panel" stereo something similar to this of tat-bay for £50 for my last car - means that it shouldn't be that noticeable when not in use

SonyABP1.jpg

of course....if you've already got a stereo then this advise is pretty much useless :D

I had mine mounted under the glovebox but it was a PITA so I attacked the dash with a Dremel type thing and cutting wheel.

I feel much better now, cab is tidier and I can change music without swerving. :D

Latest posts