Fitting direct operated servo to RHD bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RePhil

Reaction score
Has anyone fitted a direct operated (not remote) servo to a RHD bus?
I have no servo atm or mounting bracket/plate on the beam.
There are a few articles about people replacing old ones with newer Brasil units & some who have fitted remote units e.g. VW Jim units.
Also all the replacement units seem to be on LHD buses which seemed to have servos a lot earlier than RHD buses.

Any info anyone?

Thanks,

Phil.

I've fitted one to a 68 and it was a lot of work with the brake pedal being further over. But I think your chassis might be different to mine so it may be easier.

On a 1971 bus it's straightforward. The servo and its operating rod are the same for left or right hand drive. The mounting bracket can be fabricated or removed from a donor.

To align the pushrod to the servo, the lever on the pedal cross shaft needs to be reversed and a new slot cut into the shaft for the cotter.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I've ordered a kit from Creative. You get servo, mounting bracket, extension shaft, master cylinder & vacuum hose for £250 - which sounds OK to me.
Speaking to them (very helpful) it appears that there can be some issues with handbrake cables possibly rubbing on the side of the servo with RHD. No problem with LHD!
Looking at lots of pics it looks like the way round this is a)fit the smaller 7" unit & b)mount the servo at an angle pointing towards the brake pedal crank arm - Not parallel to the chassis rails.

I'll report back on completion.

While I wait I'm about to try & remove an inlet manfold end - for drilling & tapping for the vac take-off. I seem to think it's a pig without dropping the engine out.

Phil.

RePhil said:
Thanks for the advice guys.

I've ordered a kit from Creative. You get servo, mounting bracket, extension shaft, master cylinder & vacuum hose for £250 - which sounds OK to me.
Speaking to them (very helpful) it appears that there can be some issues with handbrake cables possibly rubbing on the side of the servo with RHD. No problem with LHD!
Looking at lots of pics it looks like the way round this is a)fit the smaller 7" unit & b)mount the servo at an angle pointing towards the brake pedal crank arm - Not parallel to the chassis rails.

I'll report back on completion.

While I wait I'm about to try & remove an inlet manfold end - for drilling & tapping for the vac take-off. I seem to think it's a pig without dropping the engine out.

Phil.

Yes the handbrake cable (early style) does just touch the servo body. The simple solution it to use a horseshoe clip between the cables which pulls them inward equally by about 2 cm.

It's all becomes quite obvious once you actually do the job.

Later inlet manifolds have a servo takeoff below the carb.

Interested in this.

Where does the vacuum hose route between the mainfold and the servo?
Do you just go through a firewall grommet near the battery / starter cable and clip it to the right-hand chassis leg (meaning following the main cable conduit)?

Pics would be great when you've done :D

Trikky2 Thanks I may have to do that to hold the cable away from the servo.

I have an after market Weber twin choke carb with no vac connection.

Struggled with getting inlet off tonight but no joy so far. (Stuck my tongue out too to no avail.)

Starbisquit. Vac hose route I would assume will be as you describe but it's never straight forward.

I will also run another hose (air breather) from the servo probably to somewhere under the pedal splash pan where it should be clean enough.

I'll post pics.

Phil.

RePhil said:
Trikky2 Thanks I may have to do that to hold the cable away from the servo.

I have an after market Weber twin choke carb with no vac connection.

Struggled with getting inlet off tonight but no joy so far. (Stuck my tongue out too to no avail.)

Starbisquit. Vac hose route I would assume will be as you describe but it's never straight forward.

I will also run another hose (air breather) from the servo probably to somewhere under the pedal splash pan where it should be clean enough.

I'll post pics.

Phil.

For the pipe I used copper pipe running through the existing holes in the crossmembers. Hose at each end to make the connections.
For the air inlet to the servo, yes a short length of hose with a home made foam filter on the end. Keep it high and protected to prevent spray or water ingress.

Latest posts