Fitting Fuchs!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingerporsche

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm thinking of fitting Fuchs to my next earlybay!
It's either a 68-9
What's the best way of doing it an what options are out their?
Also how good are the repro's? I know theirs the flat4 option
but what are the new ssp ones like?
Anyone running either one their buses?
Any pics would also help!!
Cheers
Wilf

There are loads of options here.

Fit Porsche discs (front and rear)
Fit CSP discs (front and Machine 7 drums rear)
Fit 71> discs (front and late bay drums rear).......cheapest and easiest option

As for the wheels themselves.......My brother has a set of 4.5" MWS polished fuch's and they fit well and 2 years on still look great. These are very cheap at shows (£450 with good tyres, wheel nuts, centre caps and locking nuts - delivered)

At the risk of being tarred and feathered....

genuine or they aren't cool!

I've used these guys recently, wonder where they source their wheels
http://www.design911.com/Porsche/911-1965-1989/Wheels---Alloys---Rims/pt72_-cma81-cmo104/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i know nothing about fusch.... see i cant even spell it right!!! but does this mean the speedmasters might be up for grabs?!? ;)

thru_a_lupe said:
i know nothing about fusch.... see i cant even spell it right!!! but does this mean the speedmasters might be up for grabs?!? ;)

I reckon they sold on the boos Jon :shock:

ProfessorWheeto said:
At the risk of being tarred and feathered....

genuine or they aren't cool!

I've used these guys recently, wonder where they source their wheels
http://www.design911.com/Porsche/911-1965-1989/Wheels---Alloys---Rims/pt72_-cma81-cmo104/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes but do you want to run inner tubes?

I doubt every single set of genuine fuchs are running inner tubes, didn't see any when the rears got swapped on the 911 carrera we've just resto'ed ;)

I just think repro fuchs are getting like repro brms and repro empi 5s/8s. Every man and his dog has a pair, theres loads of wheels out there but for some reason people all stick to the same. Kinda defeats the point of modifying!

Genuine gas burners or teledials would be cooler than repro fuchs any day of the week!

MWS have never had the best rep for quality either from what I've read in the past either..

ProfessorWheeto said:
Genuine gas burners or teledials would be cooler than repro fuchs any day of the week!
I second that, specialy the Teledials 8)

Next time Im at a show, Ill pick me a set of genuine Gasburners up .... :shock:

Which is why gen is cooler than repro, who wants to bolt loads of off the shelf parts to their bus? Nowt custom, modified or unique about it!

Im not so sure, as much as I like and appreciate og stuff, $3000 (the set on The Samba at the moment for example) for 30+ year old magnesium wheels that are 'maybe' not safe for use versus £400 for a set of approved quality repro wheels would see me put my money down on the repros, for sure.

When any wheel gets repro'd the 'magic' of them can be lost - I guess Cosmics are the next to be seen everywhere - but the trick is to ensure they are presented well, with the correct stance and on the right vehicle. Just bolting on and rolling is no brainer work, and shows,I agree. :)

Clem said:
When any wheel gets repro'd the 'magic' of them can be lost - I guess Cosmics are the next to be seen everywhere - but the trick is to ensure they are presented well, with the correct stance and on the right vehicle. Just bolting on and rolling is no brainer work, and shows,I agree. :)

Colour coded might work nicely, would seperate them out from the usual black and polished. Even body colour and polished wouldn't look bad. Then again I doubt many people would want to start painting brand new wheels!

I run original 14" 911 fuchs on my '68 camper with Michelin Aries using a spacer converting to 5 x 130 bolt circle. My camper is stock ride height and I have 3/4 " clearance in the rear. spacers give better ride due to width increase and the Michelin I run front and rear sway bars . I bought the used fuchs and had them restored and polished with black trim. very happ with the look and the ride.

WILEYVW said:
I run original 14" 911 fuchs on my '68 camper with Michelin Aries using a spacer converting to 5 x 130 bolt circle. My camper is stock ride height and I have 3/4 " clearance in the rear. spacers give better ride due to width increase and the Michelin I run front and rear sway bars . I bought the used fuchs and had them restored and polished with black trim. very happ with the look and the ride.
We need pictures 8)

froggy said:
WILEYVW said:
We need pictures 8)

Oh yes! :D

I got Fuchs on my '68.

Running flat 4's polished and detailed, don't get the chrome type as they don't like our weather conditions and it peels off (so I've been told).
Its got 944 discs and calipers with the T2D fitting kit up front and creative engineering hubs and drums out back, also uses later bay shoes. Needs a spacer at the back to alow the centre caps to go on.

The problem with the CSP discs is that the porsche centre cap can't be fitted on.

I have all alloy nuts fron design 911 and locking nuts too.

The alloy caps are locked on too from the back with 3 locking bolts.

As for the ssp fuchs I think they are O.K but I would get the polished alloy and get 'em detailed yourself as there detailed ones are not detailed quite right.
P1020128.jpg

P1010366.jpg

P1000202.jpg

P1000198.jpg

P1000199.jpg

Fuchs and CSP disc kit
mybus5.jpg

I'm running OG 14" fuchs. They are on 20mm adapters.
It runs fine with out any rubbing.

P1020510.jpg

P1010091.jpg

P1010085.jpg

hope that helps

Latest posts