Fitting new window seals

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VWAIRCOOLED

Reaction score
I'm going to be fitting my windows in with new seals soon,probably from VW Heritage.When fitting the seals do I need to use any sealant or anything else? I was thinking of putting a smear of waxoil on the window frames before fitment,is this a good idea?

Assuming there is no naked matal showing I wouldent bother, the ruber seal wil keep the water out, and you will have enough problems without having waxoil adding to it, it will more than likely just get on to your fingers and get every thing a bit grubby.

I've not got any metal or rust in the frames, so I'll probably just fit the rubbers on dry then.Cheers.

I fitted my deluxe rubbers with the trim in place and had to take the odd one out again. Found there was water getting in and staying under the rubber. Decided to slam a load of wax in there just to be safe. My rubbers were from custom & commercial.

I would syringe waxoyl under the seal lip after fitting.
Ive done this with mine, water does get under the out side edge and stay there. Next time you wash your van run a dry cloth along the bottom edge of the seal and press hard there will be water stuck under the seal lip.

Got my syringe from a countrywide shop, just thinned the wayoyl about 50% with white spirit and then injected under the seal lips all round..

noddy said:
Ive done this with mine, water does get under the out side edge and stay there. Next time you wash your van run a dry cloth along the bottom edge of the seal and press hard there will be water stuck under the seal lip.

Got my syringe from a countrywide shop, just thinned the wayoyl about 50% with white spirit and then injected under the seal lips all round..

Thats really quite a good idea......add that one to the list!

noddy said:

Sounds like a plan,I'll give it a go cheers.

Latest posts