Fixing drive away awning to van

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oh.go.on.then

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a khyam drive away awning and want to know the best way to fix it to the van when parked?

What are people using?

Cheers

Mike

Pole and clamps on gutter, or figure of eight plastic strip fixed to gutter., Dont know of any other way

Guys, thanks for the responses.

I know I'm probably being dim here but how does a figure of 8 work? I think my Khyam awning came with some but how does that fit to the van? Do you clamp it? The slit in it is too big to stay on the gutter and just pulls off. Are you supposed to pack it with something to stay on?

Cheers

sparkywig said:
I used to use figure of 8, but changed to pole and clamp to stop the rain dripping into the van when the sliding door was open....

Same here. Figure of eight seemed nice and simple til the first couple of times using it in bad weather :evil:
Leaks drip through the gaps between the strips in rain and in gusty winds the whole thing flaps about and unhooks itself unless you get imaginative strapping it down :roll:

Pole and clamp is a bit more faff when pitching up but a lot less hassle once camped 8)

Sounds like I had better investigate a pole and clamp by the sound of it. My figure of 8's are definitely way to open to stay on the gutter

Cheers guys

The figure of eights stay on by the flappy part of the awning being tight, in effect pulling the plastic against the gutter rail. This relies on you parking just the right distance away from the awning.

Marvel said:
The figure of eights stay on by the flappy part of the awning being tight, in effect pulling the plastic against the gutter rail. This relies on you parking just the right distance away from the awning.

I agree but we found that even parked millimetre perfect (so first night then :lol: ) it unhooked if it was windy. The problem is that the awning isn't perfectly rigid, it gives in the wind which then untensions the flappy bit and the figure of eight flaps off :roll:
Can solve that by chucking a guyline over the flappy bit to hold it down but you still get the drips through the gaps :(

Latest posts