flinking blip

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weeboll

Reaction score
so the wife txt's me this afternoon "Dom and Claires go broken into last night. Someone drove straight through the gate and took the campervan taking the fence with them!"

Dom and Claires is where we keep the van...

i have mild heart attack.

eventually get through to her and she means the caravan in the field next door..

panic over but i have only just now got over the panic/adrenalin rush (thanks to a very effective medicine called beer)

suggestions please for security devices - i have tried emailing uber security re pedal lock but he seems to be awol. trackers seem either costly or a bit rubbish so any advice on what to get? i'm quite reasonable with tech stuff but if the quality is rubbish then i dont want to know

what alarms do people have?

what other devices are effective?

distributor arm is going to be removed from van tomorrow morning and kept away from van which will deter drive away theft but i'm feeling the need to be much more security aware

cheers

ian

I was listening to a neighbour's vw alarm go off half the night, probably due to a fly buzzing about inside setting the motion detector off.

I don't anything deters a professional thief, but you can make it difficult and less tempting by installing an immobiliser or a steering wheel lock. Rear wheel drive vehicles should be backed into the drive way, turn your wheels to the side to make it hard to tow/ drag away. How about a good old fashioned wheel clamp?

Lay frame :msn4:
in seriousness though, fuel cut off, secret ignition switch, take a wheel off. and a sign to boot in the window explaining that it wont start so dont bother.

simple works best i feel.
horse

thatcham cat 1 alarm with tilt sensor, pinpointpal GPS if the worst does happen, and of course a visible deterrent such as mentioned above; pedal lock or a Krooklock type device.
:msn4:

where are people mounting full cut offs? my guess is if its visible is bypassable..

mine is in the engine bay but I want to move it to under the van (gearbox area) as you are right it shouldn't be visible to thieves.
The main reason for me also though, as mine is not separately switched as an antitheft device, is that if there is a fire in the engine bay the idea of the cut-off is that it stops further petrol fuelling the fire and hopefully makes it easier to extinguish.
Obviously :roll: if the cut-off is in the engine bay any fuel pipe coming from the bulkhead to the cut-off could be burned and then release more petrol.

surely if they are willing to make that kinda noise to nick a caravan, they will be looking to turn up with a trailer and drag it on, alarm and security devices won't help you then

the caravan in a field was simply a hitch up and accelerate through the hedge, the campervan is in a garage and would be a harder task to get a trailer or pick up aligned and hitched without being very noisy..

i've got a battery isolator switch fitted, a steering wheel lock & a wheel clamp, i also park the wife's car in front of the bus when i've got it at home (about 10% of the time). i still worry but think that's enough to put the b****rds off stealing my van. at the end of the day, if they want something that bad then they'll find a way of pinching it, which is why 90% of the time it's kept on a secure forces base. if they can get past the armed guard then fair play to them.

Latest posts