Help !!!!!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slammed72

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I need some help, I'm having trouble trying to run my van ! Took it out for a spin last Friday night and ran great bit under powered but okay. So Sunday came around and we decided to take the van to the Inlaws, set off and the can ran great guns !!! No lack of power and pulled like a train to about 5 miles into the journey when the van misfired (like a hiccup ) twice when I demanded power. We carried on a bit further and the van suddenly lost power and wouldn't accelerate and started back firing. We limped to a lay by and the van idled really erratically then cut out.

It took about 5 mins of cranking to restart so we decided to limp back home. I found that if I kept my foot flat to the floor that the engine stumbled over back firing the would pick up and Rev clean but would revert back to the lack of power and no revs when pulling away.

Tonight I tried fitting a fuel filter as suspected it might be rubbish from fuel getting through - took it out for a quick run down the duel carridge way all was good, very slight hesitation when going up through the gears but no back firing.
Stopped at fuel station to was the van,set back off and within 1/2 mile the fault returned but worse than before, limped van home 1 mile and now it seems to idle and Rev okay when stationary .

Any clues ??? I've only had my van 6 weeks and managed a sum total of 30 miles !!! it's getting me down !! I only want to drive my van

Forgot to add that she has a new petroix coil,distributer (vacuum), points,condensor,rotor arm,dizzy cap,new exhaust,RH heat exchanger,inlet manifold boots and carb rebuild inc jets ??!?

sounds like mine, runs fine to start with and then stutters. Runs fin with auto choke which cuts out once warm. Points? and fuel starvation? Water in petrol. Time for a tune up I think,

Will run okay when warm just intermittently faults like I've described !! So bad I can't even get the van anywhere to have it tuned !!!

Hello mate, I`m wondering if the van came with these problems or have they manifested since you`ve owned it ? Does this van have a servo ? If so, check the pipework for leaks, could be it`s running too lean after it`s warmed up, have a look at the manifolds and joints for air leaks (some spray wd 40 around) . It does sound like someone has been chasing a fault by replacing all these bits and bobs. Check for leaks as it`s a nice easy thing that ain`t gonna cost you nothing and good to get out of the way. Then it might be worth checking your fuel supply from tank to needle jets / floats. Any chance of a video to listen to it mate ?? :?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Keep us up to speed bud :mrgreen:

Cheers for reply ozziedog

I've replaced these bits whilst I have owed the van, the guy who I bought it off said it ran okay but wouldn't idle when hot. Fair enough. So I picked the van up on the hottest day of the year and he the told me it had over heated when he took it for the mot test,so to take it steady on the way home (about 40 miles) made it 20 miles and stopped to let the van cool down the van wouldn't restart at all - traced this to dizzy that had snapped its little copper Earth on the base plate. Looking into the running hot issue found the cooling flaps jammed half open and no thermostat. Sorted this along with fitting seals to the tin wear that were missing and massive holes in the exhaust.

Engine now runs okay temp wise - rebuilt the carb and fitted new inlet manifold boots for the idle issue - reset the carb using the guide on here and it now idles when hot just hit this running issue !! Tried taking a video and the van played ball and has since I limped it home !!!

Starting to sound like you may have a cracked head, as this usually will expand when the motor gets hot. Have you checked the valve clearances, as these should be set when the motor is cold because as the motor warms up the expansion will reduce these gaps, and if they are a bit tight to start with, they will be overtight once warm and loosing compression, this could explain it. Still trying to think of possibilities that won`t cost much. Start with the basics so you can eliminate these.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Just a couple of gaskets bud :mrgreen:

I will give those a shot tonight , if i have a cracked head would that show up with a compression test ????

Back firing is caused by the spark being generated at the wrong time - so well worth checking the dizzy over and resetting the points gap, then the timing with a strobe light - rev the engine up with the light attached and you should see if the advance is working properly. If you still have the old dizzy try refitting that, your new one might have the wrong advance curve or a sticking advance mechanism. I am sure someone on here will be able to expand on the merits of vac advance versus the 009.:)

I had to buy a new dizzy as the old one broke the copper pigtail thing that attches the mechanism inside to the body had snapped.

I might be old school but i always had 009's on my beetles but everyone here says to keep SVDA, was it just that in the early naughties it was cool to have a 009 ???

You're doing well, 30 miles in 6 weeks - that's 42 days and 0.7 miles per day.

I've had mine since September: covered 1.5 miles - that's 0.005 miles per day. Stop showing off!!! :lol:

All ways one :lol: , i thought 0.7 miles a day was bad but thats good !!! makes me feel better.

Will have a bash this weekend at a few bits and see what happens and i ordered an electronic ignition !!

Latest posts